New $1,099 21.5-Inch iMac Teardown

LXMtGTa.png

I didn't even really price shop so you could likely bring it down another $30-50, but as it is it leaves about $140 which is more than enough for a windows license, making the cost slightly cheaper than the iMac. The NUC mounts using VESA onto the back of the monitor, providing a DIY all in one if that is what you are after.

The above unit overall trounces that iMac, comparable CPU (1.3/2.6 turbo vs 1.4/2.7 turbo), double the ram, SSD instead of a 5400 rpm hard drive lol, bigger and better display, etc.

The iMac is overpriced compared to what you can do yourself. Period.

Looking at that setup, I rather have the iMac which is much nicer. The OS means something also, which receives free upgrades now.

I'm surprised at the base spec iMac in this review is quite low--Interesting contrast, the Surface Pro 3 has better spec's at the same price point.

LXMtGTa.png

I didn't even really price shop so you could likely bring it down another $30-50, but as it is it leaves about $140 which is more than enough for a windows license, making the cost slightly cheaper than the iMac. The NUC mounts using VESA onto the back of the monitor, providing a DIY all in one if that is what you are after.

The above unit overall trounces that iMac, comparable CPU (1.3/2.6 turbo vs 1.4/2.7 turbo), double the ram, SSD instead of a 5400 rpm hard drive lol, bigger and better display, etc.

The iMac is overpriced compared to what you can do yourself. Period.

That build doesn't even compare with iMac and being a hundred bucks cheaper? How about a sleek design on a desk? Build in camera and thunderbolt port?

Back