Neverwinter Open Beta Dates Announced

There's also another 4th closed beta weekend coming up 4/12-4/14.

Too bad it’s based on that horrible train wreck know as 4th Edition...

"There's also another 4th closed beta weekend coming up 4/12-4/14."

Yes but I think you have to purchase the Guardian of Neverwinter $59.99 or Founder's Pack $199.99 or have a Founder send you a friend invite to get into that closed beta. I'll just wait until the 30th open beta, plenty of YouTube videos until then.

"Too bad it’s based on that horrible train wreck know as 4th Edition..."

I'm not real familiar with the 4th Edition rules but going by the videos of the game and the fact it free to download and free to play it has great potential.

If you google "Neverwinter Beta Key" you can usually find someone doing a promo. I got mine for the 3rd beta this way.

I'm not sure what 4th Edition means but the 3rd beta was a lot of fun.. so much so that I purchased one of the founder packs (the cheaper one). Looking forward to when it releases!

I'm not sure what 4th Edition means but the 3rd beta was a lot of fun.. so much so that I purchased one of the founder packs (the cheaper one). Looking forward to when it releases!

4th Edition D&D (Dungeon's and Dragon's for non-nerds) Rule set.

It's a Cryptic McMMO.

Expect to be blitzed by "Ooh! SHINY!" for about a year, and then settle in for lockbox hell after that.

All of the successes Cryptic's MMOs have had were IN SPITE of Cryptic's ham-handed management. Not BECAUSE of it.

City of Heroes: Was okay. Got LOTS better after Cryptic was out of the picture, and the Paragon Studios guys knew how to actually communicate with their customers. Cryptic simply ignores theirs.

Star Trek Online: The only reason this is still getting dev time and has the success it does is because of the MASSIVE cultural penetration Star Trek has. It's basically a massive built-in customer base. Even Cryptic/Perfect World couldn't screw it up without being blatant about it. And Paramount would bitch-smack the hell of out of them.

Then you have poor little Champions Online. A decent game. But COMPLETELY mis-handled from day zero. Cryptic basically CHASED the player community away with a flamethrower. And now, they're content to basically just shovel lockboxes at players and run crappy, untested "events" instead of actually building real, sustained content for the game. Or, heavens forefend, fix some of the legions of bugs in the game. Basically their "dev" team are the remainder of their art guys and not much more. So they simply don't have the know-how to fix the game.

If you're into Fantasy MMOs, this'll provide you with an hour or two of diversion. After that, the gameplay gets stiflingly repetitive and you wind up going back to WoW.

Nothing could chase me back to WoW. Blizzard has thoroughly destroyed that game over time, slowly. I'll try out Neverwinter but I don't have high hopes as others have mentioend, Cryptic isn't exactly a great company.

4th edition is a lot of fun. Really edition doesn't matter that much.

The problem people have with the 4th edition is not really the 'rule changes' per se, but just on how drastic the changes were with the rules, AS WELL as the timeline leap it meant in the Forgottean Realms setting as well.

That's like Blizzard releasing Wrath of the Lich King's initial patch and then the next patch will be Cataclysm and the Lich King already being defeated.

I've been playing since early Alpha and have seen many changes that are both good and bad. The development of the game thus far has made it very fun and playable, but I honestly do not feel it is ready for open beta yet.

If you can deal with minor annoyances and love Neverwinter, it is worth playing. It is "free" after all and while there are TONS of microtransactions in-game, it can still all be had with excessive grinding.

"100% free to play"

Riiiiiight, LOL. Unless you're armor is logoed like NASCAR this will be "pay to win."

There are only two MMO developers I trust to deliver something half way decent: Blizzard and Turbine.

it can still all be had with excessive grinding.

No. Actually it can't. That's the whole thing behind Perfect World's lockbox strategy.

There are going to be things in the lockboxes (sometimes important things) that you simply CANNOT get or grind elsewhere.

Granted, in some cases these things will be tradeable on the market. But money will still need to change hands someplace.

The beta weekends have been pretty fun. Being a free game, I'll at least play it for a bit. Only negative comments I've heard have been from people emotionally scarred by Cryptic.

I think I'm gonna give this one a test drive. I missed the good old days of BG. What's the difference with the 4th Ed DnD? I haven't really played the tabletop version though :D

This is great! It does in fact suck that its based on 4th ed. I still play 2nd and 3rd with my d&d live group.

I've been playing since early Alpha and have seen many changes that are both good and bad. The development of the game thus far has made it very fun and playable, but I honestly do not feel it is ready for open beta yet.

If you can deal with minor annoyances and love Neverwinter, it is worth playing. It is "free" after all and while there are TONS of microtransactions in-game, it can still all be had with excessive grinding.

This is the main reason ill stay away from the game. I got so disappointed when LOTRO got the same treatment.

After excessive Alpha testing I can "kinda" tell you the following:

1) Lockboxes contain gambles of legendary mounts/companions, but not "required" items. Mostly cash shop items or in-game "gold". They drop about 1 every 3 hours of grinding from level 15 on up.

2) Non-cash mounts are 40% faster than walking, but can be upgraded to 60% after grinding to level 40 and then to 90% grinding to level 60 AND with enough gold. Still slower than cash mounts (up to 120%), but doable and non-game breaking none the less.

3) Real-world item costs are rather excessive, but not required to enjoy the game.

All in all, you can very much enjoy and complete and compete in this game without dropping a dime. I do not recommend it, but game content will keep anyone interested for at least a month and done without spending any money.

A quick note. You can earn zen for free free if you want to download viruses and get spam emails or sign up for random stuff (not kidding). Also, NEVER buy anything on their site if you can. They are prone to lose information or worse, freely give it out to other vendors to exploit. You're better off going to a Best Buy or Amazon and buying zen cards there.

Though usually they have an in-game conversion system for this stuff, like in Star Trek where you can trade dilithium at an exchange rate set by players

Back