NEVER10 - 1 click to avoid Windows 10 forever

This was really weird just wanted to share.

It could have been late & I was tired but I don't think it was my imagination. I use FireFox as my default browser & my home page is set to "about:blank"
I had never opened I.E. Anyway, late one night I I close down my FireFox browser as any other day. But this day I get up as I'm about to walk away, Internet Explorer opens up all by itself goes to MSN.com which maybe was set to the homepage on I.E. I don't know since I never use it. Then I get a pop-up. Which is also strange because usually popups occur when you click on things. I had not clicked on anything since I was "AFK" in the literal sense. The popup said "we recommend upgrading to windows 10." I freaked out and did a hard shutdown by pulling the power cord. I think reboot in safemode and set the homepage of I.E. to "about:blank" I wanted to remove I.E. but wasn't allowed. Then I tried to use hosts file to block msn.com but I learned on another forum that $M has a safety mechanism from blocking some of their IP addresses. The only way is an external firewall or proxy server.

I found a free proxy called SQUID but I don't know how to use it. I only know two commands, block all websites and allow all websites. So that's where I am and yeah just felt like sharing.

This was really weird just wanted to share.

I found a free proxy called SQUID but I don't know how to use it. I only know two commands, block all websites and allow all websites. So that's where I am and yeah just felt like sharing.

Just use a 3rd party firewall and block IE from having Internet access. I use this free firewall Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software

It uses the Microsoft firewall engine but handles all the rules so you can disable the firewall in Windows after you install it. Or you can use Firewall Software by GlassWire

I put this on a machine that hadnt been updated for a while.
Never10 recognised that it wasnt running the latest version of Windows Update and downloaded it.
Then it was able to block Windows 10.

Pretty cool, no need to run Windows Update to resolve it.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Holy shit, GRC. I remember doing port scans with their ShieldsUP! utility back in the 1970s. Good times

I ran into Steve Gibson in a Starbucks like 10 years ago, there he was on a laptop.. coding something in assembly language.

Last edited:
Back