Netzon: Netcase, a console style aluminum case

Netzon

n00b
Hi everyone,
I wanted to share my ideas for a console style SFF aluminum case.

Background
My company designs and makes datacenter solutions for cold data storage, with a sheet metal workshop inhouse. After discovering the SFF community on Reddit, I pitched the idea to some friends (who are all gamers and LAN party enthusiasts), who had never heard of SFF before and were intrigued. I decided I wanted to make a small batch of cases for my friends to test the waters before possibly moving to mass production.

Preliminary Specs:
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 351x70x310, 7.6l
  • CPU cooler clearance: up to 50mm
  • GPU: Up to 305mm in length
  • PSU: SFX(-L)
  • Drives: 2x 2.5"
  • Material: 1.58mm aluminum

ngxed0Z.png

Dno47lM.png

mQZTR4o.png

w8wAIkv.png

CO9kxkW.png

Changes 8/29/2017:
  • First prototype has been manufactured.

Changes 6/20/2017:
  • Corners have been smoothened

Changes 6/10/2017:
  • Vent holes have been redesigned for better airflow.
  • Internal layout changed to allow for the included riser card.
  • Cutout bracket added to support 92mm/120mm AIOs.

Changes 5/31/2017:
  • Reduced volume from 8.1l to 7.6l.
  • Additional vent holes added and density increased.

Upcoming:
  • Design a stand for the case.
  • Manufacture a prototype.

Last edited:
Nice, but the location of the hdd's on top of the GPU back-plate is a not a good idea, the GPU gets very hot and it will heat-up the hdd's
02-EVGA-GTX-1080-FTW-Furmark.png
and can you please use the default text colors of the forum, the thread is not readable on the white theme:
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
LAN party enthusiasts who are still carrying around full-sized systems? Oooph.

That being said, here's the big question:

Why is anyone going to prefer this over the Sentry, which is the same size, same style, and made of steel rather than aluminum?

It feels like this is trying to cover a niche that, between the RVZ02, Node 202, Sentry, and S4 Mini, is pretty thoroughly covered...

Can you make the case to fit MSI Gaming X cards? Lian-Li manufacture?

Nice, but the location of the hdd's on top of the GPU back-plate is a not a good idea, the GPU gets very hot and it will heat-up the hdd's
and can you please use the default text colors of the forum, the thread is not readable on the white theme:

Adjusted the text, thanks for pointing out!

Regarding the HDD temps, I'll look into that to find a better solution.

That being said, here's the big question:

Why is anyone going to prefer this over the Sentry, which is the same size, same style, and made of steel rather than aluminum?

It feels like this is trying to cover a niche that, between the RVZ02, Node 202, Sentry, and S4 Mini, is pretty thoroughly covered...

It comes down to user preference. I'll try to highlight the traits and selling points of each of the mentioned cases in an impartial way:
  • Node 202/RVZ02: Manufactured by large companies, so readily available and affordable. These cases are on the larger side though (10L+) for ease of building in and use a lot of plastic, which might not appeal to enthusiasts.
  • Sentry: High target retail price ($230) and currently only available to crowdfunding participants. Good design and portability while still using SFX/ITX components.
  • S4 Mini: Not readily available (Next batch is September and already sold out) and uses G-Unique/HDPlex style PSUs and short GPUs. Very small and portable if you don't mind the external brick.
As for the Netcase:
  • Competitive pricing due to inhouse manufacturing, placing it between the Node 202/RVZ02 on one side and the Sentry/S4 mini on the other side.
  • Readily available for purchase once it enters the market, without long waiting times.
  • Powder coated anodized aluminum for a premium look and feel.
  • Light and portable due to the use of aluminum.
  • Uses SFX/ITX components that are readily available.
  • Panels use a toolless design with thumbscrews.
  • Mod friendly design that allows the usage of a translucent GPU/CPU cover.

Can you make the case to fit MSI Gaming X cards? Lian-Li manufacture?

I'll have to check if those fit. The way its heatsink is designed makes it not particularly suitable for this style of case though.

As for manufacturing, we will manufacture them inhouse. My company has 10 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of cold data storage solutions for data centers.

CPU cooler clearance: up to 50mm
It will be amazing if you could just add an extra 8mm to the cooler clearance to have more options (>95W TDP)
IMG_2259.JPG
Silverstone AR06
IMG_2261.JPG
Scythe BIG Shuriken 2
IMG_2262.jpg
Wraith spire
IMG_2263.JPG
Thermalright AXP-100

Last edited:
It comes down to user preference. I'll try to highlight the traits and selling points of each of the mentioned cases in an impartial way:
  • Node 202/RVZ02: Manufactured by large companies, so readily available and affordable. These cases are on the larger side though (10L+) for ease of building in and use a lot of plastic, which might not appeal to enthusiasts.
  • Sentry: High target retail price ($230) and currently only available to crowdfunding participants. Good design and portability while still using SFX/ITX components.
  • S4 Mini: Not readily available (Next batch is September and already sold out) and uses G-Unique/HDPlex style PSUs and short GPUs. Very small and portable if you don't mind the external brick.
As for the Netcase:
  • Competitive pricing due to inhouse manufacturing, placing it between the Node 202/RVZ02 on one side and the Sentry/S4 mini on the other side.
  • Readily available for purchase once it enters the market, without long waiting times.
  • Powder coated anodized aluminum for a premium look and feel.
  • Light and portable due to the use of aluminum.
  • Uses SFX/ITX components that are readily available.
  • Panels use a toolless design with thumbscrews.
  • Mod friendly design that allows the usage of a translucent GPU/CPU cover.
Okay, I would buy that. I don't know that the weight savings make much of a difference on a case this small, but other than that, your points are well-reasoned.

I'm going to question you on cost, though, because I know that ended up being a big portion of the Sentry: What risers are you planning on using? The cheap ones aren't reliable, but 3M risers are both expensive and, as Dan is discovering, take a while to fill a comparatively "small" order.

As for manufacturing, we will manufacture them inhouse. My company has 10 years of expertise in the design and manufacture of cold data storage solutions for data centers.

Who is we, exactly? Is this something that your company is actually willing to take on? I figured it was just more of a, "yeah, employees can come use the equipment for personal projects after hours as long as they don't break stuff."

You'd talked about availability - how many units are you thinking about? If you aren't funding through Kickstarter, do you have the funds to make several prototypes (including all the bits and bobs) to send to reviewers? (I ask because that's a big part of what sunk the Ghost's first campaign.)

I hope this in no way feels like an attack, by the way - I'm just trying to push you so you have the greatest chance of success possible. :)

Okay, I would buy that. I don't know that the weight savings make much of a difference on a case this small, but other than that, your points are well-reasoned.

I'm going to question you on cost, though, because I know that ended up being a big portion of the Sentry: What risers are you planning on using? The cheap ones aren't reliable, but 3M risers are both expensive and, as Dan is discovering, take a while to fill a comparatively "small" order.

I'm currently in discussions with LiHeat and Sintech, both of which have been reviewed here. I'll test both of them once I have samples.

As a fallback plan, the case has been designed to work with riser cards as well, which we can manufacture inhouse. Our first prototype will use that.

Who is we, exactly? Is this something that your company is actually willing to take on? I figured it was just more of a, "yeah, employees can come use the equipment for personal projects after hours as long as they don't break stuff."

We're a medium sized German company that designs and produces cold data storage solutions. You can check us out here. We also do sheet metal contract work.

The project has been approved and my team is on board. Prototyping will begin today. And no, we don't actually get to use the equipment after work hours since that would be an insurance nightmare. :p

You'd talked about availability - how many units are you thinking about? If you aren't funding through Kickstarter, do you have the funds to make several prototypes (including all the bits and bobs) to send to reviewers? (I ask because that's a big part of what sunk the Ghost's first campaign.)

I hope this in no way feels like an attack, by the way - I'm just trying to push you so you have the greatest chance of success possible. :)

No worries, it's appreciated!

While we do not depend on crowdfunding to finance the production of the case, I do believe it is a useful platform to gauge approximate demand for the case. I'm thinking of a crowdfunding campaign with a lower target goal, like $10.000.

We can do prototypes and review samples before any crowdfunding campaign, and the production of the first prototype is starting today. For review samples, who aside from Linus should I send a sample to?

Alright. I have to apologize, then - I underestimated you. Samtec risers are good; I've used 'em.

Aside from Linus, I would absolutely send a sample to Dmitry at Hardwarecanucks. I'd also try and get an article over at SFF.net, if you can talk anyone into it.

I look forward to seeing what you make of this. :)

For the prototype we are doing today, I've added vents over the HDD bracket. I'll stress test a GTX1080 FE inside and will monitor and share the HDD temps. If the results are outside of an acceptable range, I may have to do a major redesign.

On a similar note, I will run a CPU stresstest with a backmounted M.2 SSD, both with and without a thermal pad.

It will be amazing if you could just add an extra 8mm to the cooler clearance to have more options (>95W TDP)
View attachment 27410
Silverstone AR06
View attachment 27411
Scythe BIG Shuriken 2
View attachment 27412
Wraith spire
View attachment 27414
Thermalright AXP-100

The actual clearance is closer to ~53mm, though that is basically touching the panel. I'm hesitant about increasing the size of the case due to portability being a priority, though I could look into doing different alternative sidepanels with bigger clearance. Kind of like the Ghost's tophat, except as a sidepanel (Sidecar?). Might even allow for a Corsair H5 SF or a 240mm radiator mounted in the space over the HDDs.

Alright. I have to apologize, then - I underestimated you. Samtec risers are good; I've used 'em.

Aside from Linus, I would absolutely send a sample to Dmitry at Hardwarecanucks. I'd also try and get an article over at SFF.net, if you can talk anyone into it.

I look forward to seeing what you make of this. :)

I'll keep those in mind, thanks! ETA on the prototype is one week.

My advice is size it for "reference" coolers and state that fact up front. In other words, if you want to fit the biggest GPU cooler, do it and say so. If you only intend to support 1 CPU cooler of a certain size, do it and say so. Don't leave it up in the air for people to figure out. Build a system that includes the coolers, and say which coolers it uses.

My advice is size it for "reference" coolers and state that fact up front. In other words, if you want to fit the biggest GPU cooler, do it and say so. If you only intend to support 1 CPU cooler of a certain size, do it and say so. Don't leave it up in the air for people to figure out. Build a system that includes the coolers, and say which coolers it uses.

It's currently designed to fit reference GPUs up to 305mm in length and CPU coolers up to 50mm in height. I'll do some sample builds once the prototypes are ready.

BTW. I hate the name because it rhymes with a seedy gambling site.
.. And I still don't see what would set this case apart from the dozen or so other cases with similar internal layout that are already on the market.

There were two things that turned me away from the Sentry: the weight and the price (with shipping). Fix those (without creating new weaknesses, such as the sharp corners in the renderings) and it would be enough for me to buy it.

Add a nice brushed and anodized front panel and you'd have something compelling.

Last edited:
It would be nice if you stay away from sharp edges for comfort in backpack. This is my dream case, console style and size + aluminum body + more reasonable price than Sentry & Dan.

Last edited:
Wow. A straight out copy of the Sentry. Size, vents, button-placement, USB-placement, colors, hardware layout.. All of it.
So i guess this is what the SFF community has come to. I'm sorry for being that guy, but this one is too obvious.

If instead you'd want to create something novel, build the smallest possible 1050 Ti barebones.

1. The case will be a very thin tower about 50mm wide or a bit less. Add perhaps fold out legs for stability.
  2. Use a low profile 1050 Ti with a riser. This is why we need a tower here: the GPU exhausts to one side, the CPU to the other.
  3. Use the custom size but widely available IP-AD160-2 in front, bottom-to-the-top orientation. 160W is plenty for the purpose: 70W for the GPU (and 70W required Furmark, mind you), 65W for the CPU - tops. You could even tweak the 1050 Ti down a notch or look around for the IP-AD180-2. I see it here and there for sale mostly in Europe.
  4. Since 1U-like dimensions requires modding the I/O shield anyways, we can use it to save space: use something like the ASRock H110M-ITX/ac which has lots of empty in the I/O shield area and mount the AC there. The PSU I recommended has the AC socket on a lead anyways.
You'd have a bigger margin than just selling a case and you'd have a truly unique product: a less than 3L 1050 Ti barebones.

Last edited:
There were two things that turned me away from the Sentry: the weight and the price (with shipping). Fix those (without creating new weaknesses, such as the sharp corners in the renderings) and it would be enough for me to buy it.

Add a nice brushed and anodized front panel and you'd have something compelling.

It would be nice if you stay away from sharp edges for comfort in backpack. This is my dream case, console style and size + aluminum body + more reasonable price than Sentry & Dan.

Good point about the edges. I'll look into a solution to round or smoothen the corners.

If instead you'd want to create something novel, put one of these https://www.inwin-style.com/en/pc-power-supply/list/34/APAC PSUs next to a normal ITX board with a low profile 1050 Ti lying on the other side for something like 1U-ish height, 180mm or so depth, 12-13" width. Basically, make the smallest possible 1050 Ti system with off the shelf components plus custom case. Should be less than 3L if you do it right.

You mean like a shorter Dancase?

I have something like that in the pipeline for a different project, using a G-Unique/HDPlex style PSU instead. With their upcoming 400W model, a broader variety of hardware can be supported.

For this case, I want to focus on a console style case based on the steam machine prototype.

I edited my post to be more clear. I really dislike these G-Unique style cases because you need an external adapter which adds more wires. I just want a small case, ready to be plugged in and that's all.

For this case, I want to focus on a console style case based on the steam machine prototype.

You mean the Sentry. That's why I suggested something else. And my suggestion could be made into a console if you get a riser cable which flips the video card to exhaust up.

Last edited:
I edited my post to be more clear. I really dislike these G-Unique style cases because you need an external adapter which adds more wires. I just want a small case, ready to be plugged in and that's all.

You mean the Sentry. That's why I suggested something else. And my suggestion could be made into a console if you get a riser cable which flips the video card to exhaust up.

Exactly !

Like the Silverstone's FTZ02 prototype but using a riser cable not a PIO motherboard

2rsZQo9.jpg

This is exactly the perfect case for me. I want a sentry but it is way too expensive for me and I was going to settle for the silverstone ml08 instead. I think a lot of people would be willing to buy a mass market console sized case that can fit a graphics card at a reasonable price (say $100).

Hi Guys,

I'm coming over from small form factor forum, so this is my first post here.

I really like the principles behind this case as it solves my issues with the sentry case.

kingtron
regarding your post on coolers, the Wraith is 54 mm just for the heasink, it is 70mm ish for the whole thing.
I would definitely appreciate the 8mm though. or a cpu cooler hump.

The actual clearance is closer to ~53mm, though that is basically touching the panel. I'm hesitant about increasing the size of the case due to portability being a priority, though I could look into doing different alternative sidepanels with bigger clearance. Kind of like the Ghost's tophat, except as a sidepanel (Sidecar?). Might even allow for a Corsair H5 SF or a 240mm radiator mounted in the space over the HDDs.

or just a panel cutout that people can put different spacers to increase the size. They would be using their own spacers so the case doesn't need to be officially designed to be used that way.

So this is basically a Sentry made from less durable materials and with more vent holes?

or just a panel cutout that people can put different spacers to increase the size. They would be using their own spacers so the case doesn't need to be officially designed to be used that way.
Spacer borders 10mm and 20mm to fit coolers up 60mm- 70mm

So this is basically a Sentry made from less durable materials and with more vent holes?

Nothing's wrong with using aluminum. Some of the more popular cases on this forum uses it. Plus with 1.5mm thickness, it should be quite durable. Also more vent holes normally results in cooler components.

So, I've been away for a while due to real life obligations that had me travel, so the prototype was produced in my absence and I couldn't get pictures until now.

So, without further ado, here is the first prototype iteration:
LiZCEdi.jpg

MjxuTiK.jpg

EXYGPDE.jpg

o08LwNV.jpg

eZRRx3g.jpg

000nHAH.jpg

2m9RTTB.png

lbmPzPk.png

Let me know what you think!

hmmm what can I say, the quality does not reach its competitors, maybe because it is a prototype not the final product.
you can see the punch of the standoffs from rear, the paint job was not applied properly, the power button looks cheap
excuse my harsh criticism, but first impression is very important, at least you could take a better photos with a proper lighting.

So, I've been away for a while due to real life obligations that had me travel, so the prototype was produced in my absence and I couldn't get pictures until now.

So, without further ado, here is the first prototype iteration:
LiZCEdi.jpg

MjxuTiK.jpg

EXYGPDE.jpg

o08LwNV.jpg

eZRRx3g.jpg

000nHAH.jpg

2m9RTTB.png

lbmPzPk.png

Let me know what you think!

Really nice prototype! :) It's great that we have more and more similar projects which can move the console style cases forward.

I have few questions and thoughts about your case:

1. Why did you place your hdd/ssd over back of the GPU? We tested this spot with our project and Ncase team tested it with their project and this location is probably the worst case scenario for hard drives. Back of the graphics cards can heat up sometimes to nearly 100 deg C and current generation of hdd's is usually designed to work with temperatures of 0-65 deg C (example). Please install there some sensor and measure it. Those 3 lines of venting holes could not be enough.

2. Just like kingtron said about the standoffs, if some of them might be seen from the outside, you could try to brush the surface before painting it. Then the paint should cover the edges of standoffs.

3. In some places your project looks to be very complicated in manufacturing. Your main steel sheet has many laser-cuts, bendings, holes, standoffs... This is making it the most expensive part. The final quality controll you are making after painting to see if all the tolerances match. In your design, if the operator will damage something in this element, all of the previous operations will be wasted because you will have to throw away the whole element. If you will have more such damaged elements, your manufacturer will rise the price of it to compensate the losses (you won't pay for the element which dimensions aren't ok). Maybe you could try to split this part into 2 or 3 smaller elements? When ordering the prototype, did you ask for an offer for 1/25/100/500/1000 units? 1 for the prototype, 25 for checking the production repeatability and the rest for checking the prices for future retail sales/crowdfunding campaigns.

I understand this is your first prototype. Let us know about the results of your benchmarks and keep up the good work! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

kingtron: Yeah, this is definitely still in the rough stage and far from a final product. I hope the next prototype turns out better! The power button is a placeholder that I had lying around; I'm thinking of a black one for the final build with LED ring.

ZombiPL:
1. Thank you for bringing that up, I had not realized temperatures could become that high there. I've ordered some PC components to do a test build, which should hopefully arrive by the end of the week. I'll attach the sensors and will share the results of the benchmark!

2. Will do!

3. I'm actually manufacturing the prototypes inhouse, as we have our own sheet metal workshop! The power coating is done by a contractor though. Some of our guys have expressed interest in any production prototypes that get discarded, so I guess those will go to them.

Depending on how the temperature testing goes, I may have to redesign the case completely. Fingers crossed! :D

Definitely some fit-and-finish work to do to make it production-worthy, but it's a good start.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Move the power button next to the USB ports and make it smaller.
2. Change the vent hole size/spacing to allow more air flow.
3. Eliminate ALL of the visible seams in the side panels.

I think It's important to change shape and location of the button for non-sentry look. It would be nice if a foldable stand design could be made.

Last edited:
Update: All the hardware is here now. Just waiting for an AM4 upgrade kit for the NH-L9i to arrive, which should be tomorrow or at the start of next week.

The testing configuration will consist of:
CPU: R7 1700
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Gaming ITX (it's the newer one with the thinner heatsinks)
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
PSU: Corsair SF450
Storage: 1x Samsung 850 Evo 512gb, 1x WD 1TB

I'll use two different GPUs for the tests: an EVGA GTX1050ti 4gb and a GTX1080 FE. I will use a riser cable from LiHeat (special thanks to them for providing samples!) for the testing rig.

I plan on running Prime 95 for CPU temperatures and Unigine Heaven for GPU temperatures for a few hours each, with sensors beneath each disk and one below the motherboard. Are there any other tests you want to see? I have most of the AAA videogames if you are interested in anything in particular.

Update: All the hardware is here now. Just waiting for an AM4 upgrade kit for the NH-L9i to arrive, which should be tomorrow or at the start of next week.

The testing configuration will consist of:
CPU: R7 1700
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
Motherboard: Asrock AB350 Gaming ITX (it's the newer one with the thinner heatsinks)
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
PSU: Corsair SF450
Storage: 1x Samsung 850 Evo 512gb, 1x WD 1TB

I'll use two different GPUs for the tests: an EVGA GTX1050ti 4gb and a GTX1080 FE. I will use a riser cable from LiHeat (special thanks to them for providing samples!) for the testing rig.

I plan on running Prime 95 for CPU temperatures and Unigine Heaven for GPU temperatures for a few hours each, with sensors beneath each disk and one below the motherboard. Are there any other tests you want to see? I have most of the AAA videogames if you are interested in anything in particular.

In your benchmarks try to use prime 95 version 26.6. Higher versions like 28-ish have some instructions for the processor that unnaturally overheat it. On the other side, most of the problems with those higher versions were reported with INTEL processors, so you could also check both versions: stable 26.6 and the newest one.

Back