Netzero and Windows ME please help!

patriot71

Gawd
I am trying to get a Netzero dialup connection going on an old Dell running Windows ME. For reasons unbeknownst to me, when I try to connect Netzero will dialup, connect and then disconnect within 5 secs and never actually goes "online". I have checked all the modem settings, network settings, and dialup properties and I havn't found anything wrong. I have also used Netzero's Connection Wizard on it which is supposed to find anything that would make the system not be able to connect, but it did not find anything wrong. The computer was able to previously dialup and connect using MSN/Dellnet. And yes, MSN/Dellnet was uninstalled to prevent any software conflicts. I have searched the net high and low for other people with similar problems to no avail. Also, switching back to MSN/Dellnet and/or running a different OS on this system is not an option.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm assuming your a paying customer of NetZero, so have you called their support line? I'm not trying to sound rude, but if your paying for their product, you have a right to ask them for help. Theoretically, they should know the software better than anyone else.

Actually, I am working on this computer for a person. This isnt th reason they sent the computer to me though. I was doing the normal, spyware/virus removal crap. I connected the computer to the net a few times using MSN/Dellnet when I first got the computer to update virus definitions etc. A few days passed until I could work on the computer again and I tried connecting via MSN/Dellnet but I couldnt. I called the person to let them know what was happening and I was informed that they switched to netzero. I downloaded Netzero but I can not get the darn thing to connect. Do you think this could be a security issue? Perhaps I cant sign on due to a user name trying to login from 2 different locations? I am skeptical of that being the reason because I have had other computers over and I was able to sign onto Netzero no problem from my location using their computer..

The XP fix worked perfect. You sir are a Genius. I read somewhere about 'winsock', but being unfamilair with it, I didnt persue that road. Thank You!

I spent roughly 8 hours troubleshooting everything else, but all I needed to do was one that 1.35mb file. That is life I guess. That little proggy is going in my toolbox.

Thank You!

Back