Networks running Linux

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Just curious when I see networks that run Linux exclusivly, I am wondering are there certain Linux applications that Linux admins use to run the network?

How does being a Admin in a Linux environment differ from a Windows network?

Thanks for any info - just curious what entails of being a Linux admin.

i'd say their life is much harder =P. Right now i'd only use linux servers in particular situations. ie an sql server (mysql) is very flexiable and is cheap(or free) to liscnese. E-mail when most of the clients will be using pop3 otherwise exchange is very nice. I definatly don't think of linux for file server. Samaba is to big of a pain in the ass for me. Novell or windows does the job good. Linux on the desktop just isn't a reality in my world. It not there yet. Even tried novell's new suse. I don't think you should limit yourself to one vendor's technology. In today's world its all about intergration.

it would suck to run a *nix only environment in my opinion, there are some things that MS is just simply better at... one being ease of use.

well... my home network is strictly linux and freebsd boxes :).. For management uhm... SSH + config files? :cool:

deadoralive said:
it would suck to run a *nix only environment in my opinion, there are some things that MS is just simply better at... one being ease of use.

I don't agree for network/servers. Sure, for desktops, yeah! But when you deal with a network, the more user friendly it is, the more likely it is that you will have a security breach.

Linux is very restrictive and complex leaving all doors shut untill you open them (complex) where as Windows starts everything open and user friendly (simple). Bad thing for security in my opinion but I am no network admin so I dont know mcuh.

carloswill said:
I don't agree for network/servers. Sure, for desktops, yeah! But when you deal with a network, the more user friendly it is, the more likely it is that you will have a security breach.

Linux is very restrictive and complex leaving all doors shut untill you open them (complex) where as Windows starts everything open and user friendly (simple). Bad thing for security in my opinion but I am no network admin so I dont know mcuh.

believe it or not, if you know how to administer win2k3, it is very secure.... if you know how to set it up and configure it.... i have no problems with it.... most of our clients main servers run 2k3 or 2k....

no problems to speak of, and a helluva lot easier to deal with then a *nix system.

Yes, but everytime I see a job opening for Network Admin, they want Linux experience and I was wondering what do you need to know to operate a Linux network. Nobody is hiring to admin a Windows environment :(

carloswill said:
Yes, but everytime I see a job opening for Network Admin, they want Linux experience and I was wondering what do you need to know to operate a Linux network. Nobody is hiring to admin a Windows environment :(

lots of places are, lol i just got a new job recently.... i don't have a ton of linux experience but some, only thing that any of our clients use linux for is mail servers.

I can't find an IT position here in FL if my life depended on it :(

Think I should move - I don't want to do anything else but I.T. I just wont do help desk via inbound or outbound calls :rolleyes:

Back