Networking vs Computer Engineering

unc0ntr0l

n00b
Can somebody tell me which one is better? Like what is the difference between them, which one gives you more money, how much math do you need for each, etc..............

Don't let the dollar signs or calc series control the rest of your life. Decide what you enjoy doing, then find the associated major.

Dude the problem is that I have no idea what Computer Engineering is and that is why I dont know if I like it, Networking is cool but Cisco can sometimes get pretty boring and I have seen some statistics showing that Networking jobs are not that good since people are not paying them as they are suppose to, help?
But thanks for the comment

Originally posted by unc0ntr0l
Dude the problem is that I have no idea what Computer Engineering is and that is why I dont know if I like it, Networking is cool but Cisco can sometimes get pretty boring and I have seen some statistics showing that Networking jobs are not that good since people are not paying them as they are suppose to, help?
But thanks for the comment

Computer engineering is much more difficult, but IMHO much more interesting. I'm a computer engineering student, and it's proved more fun than networking ever could be.

I like difficult things, what makes it so hard? lol what is it about? I heard there is a lot of math in that class...

comp engineering is more along the lines of designing computing systems to do certain things, or using existing hardware (software too?) to do new things or do things more efficiently... I am not a CE major (I am not even in college yet...only 33 days of HS left tho!) but i am considering minoring in CE and majoring in CS/MIS. The CE that was explained to me was bascailly working more with robotics and designing small electronics setups and such...

The networking major is probably much more focused on network design, implementation and maintenence, and network theory

both would be fun.:D

Originally posted by draconius
but i am considering minoring in CE and majoring in CS/MIS.

Thanks for the post, that really helped, CE looks like it is pretty cool, I like doing that kind of stuff.
I got a question, What is CS/MIS? :p

EE: design chips and other devices. You're being bred to be an engineer. 5-6 years of school.

CE: figure out how to use those chips and devices to do useful things. Lots of potential for what you can do with this, very highly paid, but figure 6 years of schooling for the BS.

CS: little bit of everything, chip design, network use/design, lots of programming. With this you can be a programmer, and admin, a network tech, whatever. You need lots of math and physics for CS and those above in this list. Figure 5 years in school.

CIS: a lot of everything, network use/design, lots of programming, business minor, lots of work with various OSes; it's what I am. Most consider it training to be an administrator or network guy, but I steered myself such that I was taking graduate-level EE chip design courses and high level software development for the challenge. Little math/physics.

MIS: business school with high level networking, programming, and general tech courses. This really focuses on how organizations utilize technology. Almost no math/physics (well, accounting and finance, but if you can do algebra, it's no big deal). I've seen MIS stoodents turn into consultants, IT guys, and some management. Definitely an easy major compared to the others.

NOTE: these are highly simplified and not 100% accurate, especially given that not all schools use standardized programs.

I have seen some statistics showing that Networking jobs are not that good since people are not paying them as they are suppose to
Welcome to the computer industry.
Based on the average salary (Network Engineering) & how much real work gets done..... we're doing fine. People always complain that they aren't paid enough for the work they do.

But don't look for a job based mainly on the pay. And don't believe the myth of the certification (MCSE, CCNA, etc), it alone will not earn you $60k/year without experience.

How much math? In the real world, we use things like calculators and spreadsheets to handle most of the math.

I can't offer much insight into Computer Engineering.

Originally posted by Snugglebear

CS: little bit of everything, chip design, network use/design, lots of programming. With this you can be a programmer, and admin, a network tech, whatever. You need lots of math and physics for CS and those above in this list. Figure 5 years in school.

I'm going to dispute this only because i was a CS Major. (Sounds like a 50's horror movie...)

CS is definitely the "science" of computing.

Number Theory, in depth logic, parallel / symmetrical concepts, encryption, data encoding and communictations, etc.

Depending on how far you go, the more in depth it is. As far as I went, there was very little coding involved and more math than could be imagined. (I was focused on number theory and encryption :D )

Honestly I didn't learn jack about networking or admin'ing in my years of school. Indirectly, I learned it all, since I needed to setup systems with the proper environment, etc, but there was no "book" learning it.

Also there wasn't much "programming" training either. There were algorithms, and stuff like that. But no real "Intro to Programming" etc... The basic Programming classes were "core" classes (everyone had to take them, not just CS people)

Sorry for the long post, I just don't want people to make a mistake (more or less what I did... "Hey, I want to make video games! I'll be a CS Major" Good thing I actually liked that stuff ;) )

CE seems very interesting because I don't think programming is going to be good for me since I have been reading many articles that said that companies are starting to get workers from other countries to build websites or software for them, without properly paying them.

What kind of stuff do you study in Networking besides of Cisco?

Network security is a big thing now.
Checkpoint does some certs, there is a security track for Cisco too, and Microsoft has one as well (I lol whenever I read that ;) )

It's "simple": a Computer Engineer designs and builds switch and router hardware (i.e. the "motherboards"). Computer Scientists write the software (firmware) for these devices. Network engineers install and maintain these devices.

Network hardware design these days seems to focus a lot on designing ASICs, and then integrating those into a product. You're trying to make it go as fast as possible while remaining as cheap as possible.

Writing the firmware involves writing a custom OS, writing appropriate protocol stacks (i.e. link layer, and/or protocol layer drivers), writing switching/routing code, etc. As an outsider, it gets pretty blurry what exactly is being done in software and what is done in hardware.

As a Network engineer, you get to decide which devices to employ where, configure them, connect them together, and then sit back and watch all the computers talk to each other. Well, until something goes "bump". Then you get to test out how much of this networking stuff you really truely understand...

very nice explanation :) So which one is easier? Well in terms of taking more time to understand and stuff?

This is a really good example of what kind of work a Network Engineer does (its from a job offer I recieved this other day :D ).

Position Name: Network Engineer

Description:
Support the XXX contract to provide life cycle systems integration support for communications elements and segments within NIMA. The XXX contract is a multi-contractor program; therefore, candidates should be comfortable working with a diverse set of contractors and all grades of customer personnel. This individual will provide lifecycle project management, perform hardware, software, and technology evaluations, solution development, planning to support multiple enterprise networks, user communication requirements analysis, and communication architecture design. Additionally this individual will need expertise in TCP/IP networks, Gigabit Ethernet migration, and ATM LAN/WAN technology.

Extensive writing required defining requirements and performing analysis to develop LAN/WAN architectures and interfaces, to generate engineering documentation, project plans/schedules, weekly reports, forward plans, engineering design documents, and engineering orders (EOs) to ultimately support the transition into an operational environment. This individual would report to the Infrastructure Requirements Engineering (IRE) Team located at the Herndon, VA office.

Additional responsibilities include identifying and managing risks, reviewing Request for Changes (RFCs) for infrastructure and block/increment plan impacts, developing cost estimates and BOMs, coordinating architecture implementation, and preparing and delivering written presentations in support of customer meetings.

Required:
· Bachelors of Science or equivalent experience
· Years of Experience: 15
· Working knowledge of TCP/IP, ATM, Gigabit Ethernet, LAN/WAN networking
· Experience with Cisco and Marconi network equipment
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Windows XP/2000
· Strong interpersonal, problem solving, organizational and multi-tasking skills
· Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
· TS/SCI security clearances; NIMA level 6 and 7

Desired:
· Cisco and Marconi training/certifications (CCNA, CCNP, ATM LAN/WAN Certification)
· Knowledge of SIPRNET, JWICS, GIG BE
· Knowledge of the NGA organizations and associated programs
· Team lead experience

Back