Networking Troubles

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
So i've been having odd networking issues.

In my apartment we have 3 routers.

TN1 (Trendnet)
TN2 (Trendnet)
NG1 (Netgear).

They're all in bridge mode. It goes...

Modem - TN1 -TN2 - NG1

In TN2, the 4 connections are... TN1 (for internet access), My Xbox, My Computer, NG1.

TN1 and NG1 both have internet access. My Xbox and PC can't connect (wired) to the router and my laptop cant connect via wireless. I'm typing in the IP for TN1 and TN2. TN1 and TN2 are the same model so they both have the same default IP. However, TN2 ends in .2 instead of .1

I can't connect to TN1 or TN2. I've reset my router. Both my Xbox 360 and my PC can connect to the router but neither get internet. I ran the Windows 7 network diagnostic and it said something along the lines of "Can't connect to DNS server". I run it now and it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem".

Right now i'm on my PC getting internet through my Droid. Any suggestions?

Wow this is the most confusing post I have ever read, ever! I did read that you reset your router and possibly that took out your settings you had set up manually via the router config?

Wow this is the most confusing post I have ever read, ever! I did read that you reset your router and possibly that took out your settings you had set up manually via the router config?

Is it confusing because of the problem or my wording?

Here's another thing to add in...

I disconnected my 360 and my PC (leaving only TN1 and NG1 plugged into my router aka TN2). Then I plugged my laptop in and it worked instantly (wireless on laptop was turned off). I can access TN1 (the router connected directly to the modem) but I can't access TN2 (my router) HOWEVER i'm connected to TN2 and getting internet.

Update...

I did ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on my desktop and now my desktop gets internet.

So here's where we're at...

1) Xbox 360 won't connect to the internet but it says it's connected to TN2. TN2 is giving my PC internet as well as NG1 internet.

2) I can't log in to TN2 (control panel). I tried the IP 192.168.10.1 which is the default but that connects me to TN1 which is the exact same model as TN2. I also tried 192.168.10.2 because that was the old address to TN2 but now that doesn't work.

This problem is throwing me through a loop...it has me beat.

so TN1 is plugged directly into the modem.
TN2 and NG1 are hardwired to TN1.
Your stuff plugs into TN2, which is "your" router.
Correct?

So you reset TN2? After resetting it, did you go back in and reconfigure it? You would most likely need to do this with it disconnected from everything but a computer, otherwise there will be DHCP issues with it trying to assign IPs, along with TN1 trying to assign IPs.

Also, you are NOT using the WAN port on TN2 or NG1, correct?

so TN1 is plugged directly into the modem.
TN2 and NG1 are hardwired to TN1.
Your stuff plugs into TN2, which is "your" router.
Correct?

So you reset TN2? After resetting it, did you go back in and reconfigure it? You would most likely need to do this with it disconnected from everything but a computer, otherwise there will be DHCP issues with it trying to assign IPs, along with TN1 trying to assign IPs.

Also, you are NOT using the WAN port on TN2 or NG1, correct?

Yes, my stuff plugs in to TN2. So the 4 ports on TN2 are:

1. TN1 (Router connected to modem)
2. Xbox 360
3. My PC
4. NG1 (Router)

It goes, Modem --> TN1 --> TN2 --> NG1. So No NG1 is not directly connected to TN1.

So TN2 is receiving the internet from TN1 and then it's giving it to My PC as well as NG1. The problem is my 360 is not getting internet. I ran the test on the N360 and it said it's connected to the network but NOT the internet so I can't login to Xbox live.

I want to go back in and reconfigure my Router ( My router = TN2) however I cannot connect to TN2 because the factory IP to log in(192.168.10.1 which happens to be the same as TN1) does not work. The other IP we set it to (192.168.10.2) does not work either because TN2 was reset. So as of now, I have no way to log in to TN2 and configure it.

The only router broadcasting is NG1. TN1 and TN2 have wireless OFF.

like I said, you will need to probably disconnect TN2 from TN1 and reboot TN2, leaving your computer plugged in to TN2. Then do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
then try accessing TN2.

If you do not receive an IP address after disconnecting TN2 from TN1, you may need to manually assign an IP address to your computer long enough to get logged into your router and settings changed.

Again, you are not using the WAN port on TN2 or NG1 correct? Using only the LAN ports?

like I said, you will need to probably disconnect TN2 from TN1 and reboot TN2, leaving your computer plugged in to TN2. Then do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
then try accessing TN2.

If you do not receive an IP address after disconnecting TN2 from TN1, you may need to manually assign an IP address to your computer long enough to get logged into your router and settings changed.

Again, you are not using the WAN port on TN2 or NG1 correct? Using only the LAN ports?

Correct, TN1 has the WAN port in use by the modem. TN2 and NG1 DO NOT have the WAN port in use, only the LAN ports.

Buy a switch? use one router?
That's the easy thing to do but we were all grouped as roommates (4 of us) by our college so we had this stuff before we moved in together it seemed like the most logical. TN1 and TN2 were always around and since they were the same we just bridged them because
A) we didn't want to run cables across the apartment
B) There weren't enough ports on TN1

As for NG1. When that roommate moved in I had only 1 open port on my router and he needed 2 (PC and Xbox). I suggested getting an 8 port switch and then my router could be retired however he bought a wireless router because he could use that when he moves out.

here's what you will probably need to do...

disconnect TN2 from TN1 and NG1.
reset the router to factory defaults again.
Reconfigure router, making sure to again disable DHCP and changing it's IP address.
Hook it back up.

You may also want to check the DHCP scope of TN1; it's possible it's trying to hand out 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.50
and if a router is taking 192.168.1.2, you can have issues.

Back