Networking Trouble with Belkin Pre N adapter

jeph83

n00b
Hi,

I just got a Belkin Pre N router and pci adapter. I installed the router just fine on the computer that has the internet connection. Now I'm having trouble installing the pci adapter in the other computer.

I tried going through the procedures in the instructions but it wouldn't detect the pcmcia card being inserted. After looking in the Device Manager it says that there aren't enough resources for it.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I tried all 3 pci slots. I took out my video card and used the onboard. I messed around with the IRQs in the BIOS. I cleared the CMOS.

I can't figure it out. My computer specs are.

Asus a7N-266 VM Motherboard
1.2ghz T-Bird
1 stick of 512mb kingston valueram
Western Digital 80gb hard drive
Pioneer 106s dvd drive
TDK CD-R/W
Elsa Geforce 3 AGP vid card

I realize that this might be more of a general hardware question but I thought I'd try here anyway since it's about networking parts.

Appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks
Mark J

No other devices in the other PCI slots?
Generally you don't ever want to use the top PCI slot...that usually shares an IRQ with the AGP slot. But you said you tried the other two. The bottom PCI slot also used to share an IRQ with the ISA slot..but that's not an issue on this board, nor any of todays current boards.

Try going into the BIOS, and disabling the onboard printer port, and COM ports. That should free up IRQ 7, 3, and 4.

Also see if your BIOS is of a recent version....perhaps try flashing the BIOS to the most recent. (inserts proper warning of the dangers of BIOS flashing here)

Latest drivers from their website? Just in case the CD you got in the box is quite old..sat on shelves for a long time.

When I first installed the card I put it in the middle pci slot and had a modem in the third slot. I have removed the modem and the adapter is the only pci card I currently have in it.

I also tried disabling the com ports, serial ports and maybe one other thing, can't remember.

I believe I have version 1004 of the bios which is what came with the board when I got it about 3 years ago. I know there is a newwer version available but I was always leery of messing up my board. Plus I'm not sure if my floppy drive works as it hasn't been installed for a long time.

Would you suggest trying the 2nd or 3rd slot and changing the IRQs around?

I'm thinking of just building a new pc seeing as this is my only one, the other one that has the net connection is my parets. I could then demote this machine to be a server and use the built in ethernet and use the wireless for the new comp.

I'm gonna work on it some more tonight and see if I might have forgotten something.

Asus has a utility where you can download the BIOS flash to a file on your HD...then have the utility upgrade from file. Don't do the upgrade from the internet...do the upgrade from file.

If your board is that old, and it's such a new device...might need an upgrade.

Ok I tried installing my floppy drive but it doesn't seem to work right so I figure I'm stuck with doing the upgrade from a file with the utility YeOldStonecat mentioned. I can't seem to find this on ASUS's website, could someone link me to it.

Also I thought that these utility programs like that only worked with the newwer motherboards that were made for it?

Thanks

Back