Networking, slow logons

Hey.

Im working hard setting up my networks at home, and all is going well. i got the modem and Linksys switch/router running flawlessly (Took time tho) and all the computer can gain access.

Currently i have a simple workgroup, it does everything i need.

However i am starting up at college again soon, and we will be focusing on networking alot more. so im trying to set up my testing grounds early. I have my win2k advanced server set up, running the DNS for the domain. And i have one computer set up to access it. But the log on times are WAYYY too long!

I know this is common, and for a reason, but i cant find out what! anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

On the server in the networking settings have the DNS pointing to the server's own IP address (and only it's own IP address). If it was not set to here then reboot so that it will setup the Active Directory structure in the DNS server.

Then on the workstations have their DNS pointing to the server's IP address.

That should solve your prob.

Bean Dip said:
On the server in the networking settings have the DNS pointing to the server's own IP address (and only it's own IP address). If it was not set to here then reboot so that it will setup the Active Directory structure in the DNS server.

Then on the workstations have their DNS pointing to the server's IP address.

That should solve your prob.

In addition to the above you want to go into the DNS settings in the management console, right click on it and view properties. On the "Forwarders" tab enter your external DNS server IP addresses. Once you have this set, the server has only itself as its DNS entry, the workstations have the server IP as their primary DNS.

With this misconfigured you will get a delay on logon and "Userenv" errors in the event log. With this fixed you will see the logon time drop dramatically and only entries in the event log showing the Security Policy being applied correctly.

Back