Networking problem

czech09

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi any help is appreiciated...

Me and my friend are trying to transfer some files between our comps using a Linksys Router...the problem is we connect and everything but I can't see him nor can he see me. Yet we can play Call of Duty: United Offensive and see each other's games and connect no problem...We both have internet security and firewall etc off. He has xp home I have xp pro.

Let me know what you guys think...I've tried everything I could think of. Is there possibly any program that I could use or something like that ? Normally I just search for a comp on a network and connect that way...but as I said before I don't see him nor does he see me when he does that and we're both on MSHOME.

Thanks again,

-Lubomir

He can actually see my computer now and I can see his but when we each double click on the other's computer icon or shared docs one, it throws the following error:

The folder is not accessible. You may not have permission to use the system resource. Contact system administrator of this server to find out whether you have access permission. The network path was not found.

Probably need to make sure you have the permissions set properly on the shared folder. Also, ensure that you have the check box enabled that will allow other users to write to that folder if you guys are xfering stuff between yourselves.

Ax

As I recall, your problem will be the XP Home copy. XP Home has horribly deficient networking abilities (by design). One of the main selling points of XP Pro over XP Home is the ability to use its network abilities.

Your only bet is likely putting up an FTP server on one of the computers, and connecting using an FTP client.

Go into "My Computer" -> Tools -> Map network drive -> type in the network share path and click on "login as a diff. user", then type in the logon for the user on the OTHER computer that you are connecting to.

XP home AND XP pro will certainly network together. You wont have as robust security options with HOME but it still will work. FTP is NOT the only otion as someone previously stated.

You need to set the permissions properly on the shares, especially the security tab of the PRO machines share. If you arent allowing the everyone acount you need to set up a user account for the accessing machine, and add that account to the share permissions and the security permissions of the share you set up. Try adding the everyone account to the xp pro share's security tab.

Back