Networking problem

Barometer

Limp Gawd
All of this is on a home network.

I have a laptop on WiFi with an allocated IP address 192.168.1.71

Router/Modem is standard AT&T Arris NV510 with an IP of 192.168.1.254

I have a local server (ethernet) in my office with an IP of 192.168.4.12

In between the Server and the Laptop is a Router/Firewall with an interface of 192.168.4.1

I am trying to connect to the server (on ethernet - 192.168.4.12) from the WiFi laptop on 192.168.1.71.

I've set up packet filters on the AT&T Router that clears access to the Server from the laptop.
Nothing I've done seems to work.

So far, the Laptop doesn't seem to be getting past the AT&T Router/Modem.

Do I need a NAT rule in the AT&T router? Such as 192.168.1.71 --->> 192.168.4.1 ?

Typically, you'll want what's called a static route. Should only need NAT if you're going between LAN/WAN.

I'll be surprised if the AT&T device can do routing between two networks. Of course, if it doesn't, you might be able to put it in bridged mode (may require ISP personnel). Then, use your other router/firewall (that hopefully can route between networks) to handle all of your traffic, including LAN/WAN.

The router between you and the server should have multiple interfaces. You have given us the IP of the interface facing the server. What is the IP of the interface facing you ie 192.168.1.x? I am assuming these are /24 networks since you have not specified. Once you have that address you would put a static route on your PC pointing 192.168.4.0/24 to that address.

I should add. Since you mention that the routing device between your network and server is a firewall you will want to check with the firewall admin that there is policy in place to allow access from at least your /32, if not the whole /24, to the server.

Last edited:
Back