Networking Problem with VirtualBox 2.1.4

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 6, 2007
Messages
11,610
I just installed 2.1.4, and I know I used the x64 installer. However, even after going through the install, and allowing the USB and networking drivers to install, they aren't showing up in device manager. My virtual networking connection isn't showing up in my networking devices either, so I have no way of bridging the connection to my host NIC's connection. Has anyone come across this? I installed and rebooted already. The host OS is Vista Enterprise x64.
 
I usually use VMware Workstation, but I did try VB a while back. IIRC, VMware WS is the only one that actually installs a virtual adapter in the host OS. VB didn't install anything.
 
It has in the past, because you need to bridge the two connections together, in order to let VirtualBox get an IP on your host's network, without using NAT.
 
Strange. I always use bridged networking in VM's and I don't remember that. Thats what I liked about VB, that it doesn't install a bunch of crap. Vmware has 3 backround processes running and 2 virtual network adapters. annoying...
 
I reinstalled 2.1.4 and am currently setting up a Windows XP system now. If I am understanding some forum posts on the VirtualBox page, this was recently changed in VirtualBox so that you don't need to bridge the virtual and host network adapter together. Time will tell, once the install is finished. I'm hoping this is the case, because Virtual PC 2007 has done it this way for a while now.
 
VirtualBox now works like Virtual PC 2007 where there's no extra network config needed. All you do is choose host interface, and you get an IP on your hosts network...no bridging necessary.
 
Back
Top