networking printer in dorm room HELP

romeoagogo

Limp Gawd
Roomate and I are trying to put the printer we have on a network. The problem is he is using a school provided a computer and I am using my laptop.The problem is when I browse for printers on the network I can see our workgroup that I created and can see his computer but it prompts me for a UN and pass to connect or access his computer at all. He can access mine fine. I have done lots of home networking and never run into this. I checked all the printer sharing and Shared Docs settings to see if a PWD is required but they are just shared normally. We are thinking this is something the school did cause I can access other PCs in my dorm that are also non school provided. The big thing is I cant find where to change this password or where to find where it is stored at all. It is not in any settings or anything. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Im sure the school is running on NTFS. Try checking the security tab of the share and/or printer, make sure you give the same permission here that you give on the sharing tab. Usually this is where people from the WIN98 era get their networking wrong, you have to give permission on the share and the security tab. This is only a guess since I dont know what operating systems are in use, wether you logon with a password to your own machine, or which computer has the printer.

But pretty much if the School doesnt have it blocked(which I dont think from your info) you have the permissions wrong.

Try typing in STart-> Run "control userpasswords2"... to set the passwords. I think...

BTW, why did they remove this dialog box in 2000 or XP, I forget... but I had trouble one day trying to find this fucking configuiration in windows.

thanks for the responses
We are both running windows XP pro. On my PC I do use a pwd to login, he does not, it just goes right into windows. I checked the securitys and allowed everything for everyone just to test it and no luck. I tried disabling the windows firewall and no luck. He has a shared docs folder and windows says it is shared on the network but when i go to our workgroup i can see his computer but whenever i try to access it am prompted for a password. I have been reduced to burning my english papers onto CD and printing them from his which isnt to big a deal but now this problem is just annoying the hell out of me. Anymore ideas?

not sure if this will work, but one of the printers on our network has something like this.

when adding the printer it shows an example of a networked printer as //server/printer

our network for some reason won't show the printer, but if you manually type it in, strangely enough the printer can be found. It still never shows up though unless you specifically type it in. This is a win2k server with the printer and winxp pro client. Maybe that can work??

If both boxes are running XP Pro, then I'm truly lost. I understand that 2k and xp didn't work out 100% in shares but if both are XP then this is retarded.

to connect to his computer, he has to have a username and password, or an account on his machine must be made (with a password) so u can connect. him not having a password seems to be the problem cause xp pro wont allow you to connect to shared resources without supplying a username and password. right click my computer, go to manage, and create a username and password on ur roommates machine, give the account the appropriate ntfs/shared permissions, then try to login with the newly created account.

Party2go9820 said:
Or enable the guest account and give it rights to the printer.

thats a good idea too, just make sure to give a p-dub (thats password for yall non-ebonics speakin peeps)

Back