Networking newbie question

dsebright

n00b
I read the FAQ and didn't see an answer for this so can someone please tell me whether or not Windows XP Home will work for a home network? I've been told that in order to have my computers at home networked, I would have to use Windows XP Pro on all of them but I'm not sure the person who told me that really knew for sure. If someone could give me a for sure answer on this I'd really appreciate it.

I've never used XP home but i'm sure it has some basic file and print sharing features

I did see something in the FAQ about not being able to log into a domain with the Home version but I don't know what that means. Is logging into a domain something that all (or any) of the computers on the network need to be able to do?

Basically a domain is where you log into a central server running a network operating system (NOS) such as Win2000/2003 server and inherit its settings and security policies. You dont need to worry about it

Thanks for your help! Buying the Home version will save me a lot of money when it comes to buying a new OS for each computer.

Back