Networking newbie needs advice.

Hi all, quite new year but thoroughly inspired by the networking section and my determination to learn about networking.

I'm really looking for a bit of help and advice on how I should setup my servers and some projects to run to help with learning.

Now i'll try to explain my setup....

I have a HP N40L Mircoserver in my bedroom wardrobe (no space due to kids etc) and this is upgraded to 8GB (2 x 4GB DDR3).
It runs Windows Server 2008 R2 and at present, its a file server.
I've got a 2TB external hard drive connected which performs daily backups.
Ideally I want this setup as a DHCP and DNS server. (just for experience in setting this up etc)

Now, the rest of my setup is in the garage where I have a large desk, dual monitor setup.
The network connection to my garage comes via 500mbps homeplugs so this may limit speed, but as the garage server room is literally a home project and just for learning etc im hoping that it wont get in the way.

I've got quite a bit of stuff that im looking to setup so here goes.....

Nothing is currently installed on the systems but I have a fair idea of what I want.
I would also while doing this like to learn Linux, so what better way than throw myself in at the deep end and have everything in the garage Linux based!!

Server 1.
Description Tower (ESXi box)
CPU Xeon E5420 Quad 2.5Ghz (socket 771 cpu on 775 board)
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM-SE
Memory 4GB DDR2 (2 x 2GB)
OS ESXi

I want to set this up for running a few vm's (maybe in a view to move to one big ESXi box for firewall, NAS etc) I understand I would need a much more powerful system than this eventually.

Server 2.
Description Dell Optiplex 520 (Firewall)
CPU Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz
Memory 2GB DDR2 (2 x 1GB)
OS Pfsense

This is the first of the 2 dell sff machines (got the pair for £20) and I like the idea of a hardware firewall running from a USB stick. I assume 2GB ram will be enough?

Server 3.
Description Dell Optiplex 520 (Web Server)
CPU Intel Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz
Memory 1GB DDR2 (2 x 512MB)
OS CentOS

Again, for learning purposes, I want to host a very small blog (maybe on my server projects!)

Server 4.
Description Supermicro
CPU Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz 775
Motherboard Supermicro P8SCi
Memory 2GB DDR2 (4 x 512MB)
OS None yet.

This is just a spare board/cpu/ram bundle at present so don't have a use at present.

Other stuff I have:
HP Thin Client (Windows 8 machine)
Cisco IP Phone
Wireless IP Camera
Linksys Wireless router (was thinking of making it a wireless hotspot for wifi for garden)
8 port netgear gigabit switch
Zigor UPS
2 empty 1u super micro rackmount cases
2 empty 1u server cases
1 empty 2u server case
1 empty 4u HP case

I would love any advice or comments on how best to setup my gear.

Here is a pic of my setup (the 2 dell machines are missing and the esxi server (tower) is in the desk cupboard.

Will post a new pic once my setup takes shape.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

photo2.jpg

Sounds like you have a faint idea of what you want to do - I don't understand what you are looking for.

You can use the fourth one for load balancing using haproxy between the CentOS and one webserver VM. Is that a sort of suggestion you've been looking for?

Yeah, that's the type of advice/projects I'm looking for. Although I was considering selling the super micro motherboard to get a bit of funds together to put in my upgrade fund for maybe some more memory or storage for my servers.
Got an arrangement with the wife that all purchases have to be self funded so need to sell some parts to buy. Got about £50 in the pot so far so will sell a few parts to add funds to that.

Had a bit of free time today and linked up all my machines through the vigor UPS.
Went to install ESXi on my tower but it said it couldn't detect a compatible network card. There is a gigabit nic onboard but I assume it's not compatible with esxi? Can anyone recommend one? Would a dual or quad port card be best?

photo.jpg

Last edited:
You may be able to create a custom ESXi installer to include the vib for the onboard NIC, depending on the model. OTOH, most any PCI-E Intel NIC off of eBay should work fine as well.

Well if you want to delve into the actual networking, pick up a used layer 3 cisco catalyst or HP procurve switch and carve up your network into vlans and route those damn vlans... now that's fun!

You may be able to create a custom ESXi installer to include the vib for the onboard NIC, depending on the model. OTOH, most any PCI-E Intel NIC off of eBay should work fine as well.

Just found out that the onboard nic is 10/100 so will be disabling it anyway.

Well if you want to delve into the actual networking, pick up a used layer 3 cisco catalyst or HP procurve switch and carve up your network into vlans and route those damn vlans... now that's fun!

I think I need baby steps first. I do like the sound of that but would like to fully setup my lab first and do some break/fix troubleshooting to get some hands on experience, then i'll look into the more indepth stuff.

Found out that the motherboard in my ESXi box had an upsupported 10/100 nic.
Just ordered an HP NC360T dual port gigabit pci-e network card. Got it for £20 delivered so will keep in line with my low cost setup.

Network card arrived today. I'll get it installed through the week and setup ESXi to try it out.

Just been looking at server racks and I came across "Samson" racks. They look pretty cheap and get decent reviews. I know they are for audio equiptment so full length server racks will hang out of the back slightly but I don't have full length cases, just the shorter ones and super micro ones.

Does anyone have any experience of using these??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Still havent found the time to install the NIC and setup the ESXi box but i'll be doing that this weekend.

Also, just had a massive stroke of luck.....

I was selling some old cisco gear on ebay (only sold for like £35 collected for a bundle of routers and switches) and when the buyer arrived, he had a look at my setup and gave me a free WAP.

Its a Ruckus 7363 complete with gigabit PoE.
Couldnt believe my luck!!

Hopefully going to install that in the garage too so it will give my back garden good coverage of wifi.

Back