Networking Linux & XP

Hey All,

I don't really post much in these forums primarily over in the Folding forums but this is a networking question, as I have tried walkthroughs for Samba using Swat, and doing it manually and they seem to get closer to success each time but with bitter failure still..

The situation is this I have DSL PPOE service, the DSL Modem then connects to my Linksys BEFSR41 router, which then has my three machines XP Home machine 1 mine, Xp Home machine 2 my spouses and the linux box.. I have taken older box and installed Linux Fedora Core 1 as a learning experience and to use it to Fold but I am trying to network My XP pc and the linux box to where I can access the FAH folder ( /home/nyxx/localapps/fah ) from My XP pc to allow EM III to monitor My progress..

I have the most recent version of Samba & Swat installed both run & work I have gotten as far as being able to see the 2 pc's from each other but they cannot access each other and when I got that far it seemed like the linux box claimed Admin over the network b/c neither of My XP boxen could communicate while Samba was running... So I am back at the defaults..

My Xp Box
User Id: pippen Machine Id: pippen

Linux Box:
User Id: nyxx Machine Id: (no clue)

I am not trying to use the linux box as a network server, mail server, web server, or a router or any of that I just want to share the 1 folder with the XP pc simple as that..

I have reverted back to square one and have decided after reading many forums and trying several "Painless" or "Fool Proof" guides with no success to finally ask for help.

Once again XP Home vs Fedora Core 1, ask the questions post the suggestions and I'll try it all..

Oh and no I am not doing everything as root I paid enough attention to assign a User accout and to use root privlages only when necessary...

JonasSteele
2500.gif

2669 Points and Climing

You might be better off throwing this in the Linux section unser operating systems.

I have no idea how to access my Windows File Server from my FC2 machine.

I use samba and type smb\\192.168.1.103/share and I can see all my files once I login but when I try and open my PICS or MP3 folder, I get an error ssaying it can't understand what type of files they are. :confused:

i bet i could fix it with a telnet session or two:D

can the machines ping each other? if they can you're about 1/2 way there. then you just need to edit the samba config file (should be /etc/samba/samba.conf or /etc/samba.conf... but you probably know where it is already) vi it (console mode as root) and type /home[enter] (and then enter again if it isn't at the share setup screen until it is) and basically copy/paste the home directories share, except change the path and share name. you should be able to figure it out based on what is there and in the section above that talks about how the shares work. then just save & exit ([esc] then type :wq[enter]) and say 'service smb restart' (it may be samba, haven't configured it for at least a month :rolleyes:... i have to set up smb shares on all my linux boxen i put together... i've gotten to where i can pretty much get it in one try or so:D) basically just play with it until it works:p

if they can't then you have network configuration issues and you should post the output of ifconfig (i think that's what it is in fedora... it may be something else tho. whatever the netstat program is)

666: it might be that it just doesn't have a default program set to load the filetypes. try opening the mp3s with XMMS and the pics with mozilla. if that doesn't work, try 'mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.103/share -o username=[whatever username you've got on the windows box] /[wherever you want it mounted]' it may not register filetypes correctly (executability and all) if you use samba directly to mount it. you may have to use mount + samba as the filetype. it works for me. then put the settings in fstab if you want it mounted at boot. you should be able to figure that out, but lmk if you can't.

if either of you wants to see what the config stuff should look like, just lmk and i'll boot up my linux and copy-paste the stuff for you.

good luck.

jedi, I really need your help on this issue...This is driving me crazy and nobody has been able to answer me.

I can ping my Windows machine from Linux = ping 192.168.1.103
I can ping my Linux machine from Windows = ping 192.168.1.105

Both are looking good.

When I use Samba - it does not seem to work.

What file must I edit and what do I need to add? Sorry but I am very new to linux and get losy very easy.

Setting up Samba is much much easier than something like bind, but is still takes some low-level tweaking to get it to work across your Windows network. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I do have my network set up so that I can see the folding directories on my linux boxen from my monitoring Windows computer.

First, know what you have to do to be able to set up Samba. If you're new to Linux then you have to do some leg work, like reading the sysadmin howto files. There is more info and documentation out there than you will ever be able to digest; a good place to start is The Linux Documentation Project, at http://www.tldp.org

For me it was a matter of pushing buttons and jiggling levers to get the right configuration, figuratively speaking. The starting point is making sure you have your Samba config and your Windows network using the same network name. I don't remember the Win default, something clever like WORKGROUP. I don't recall if Samba defaults to that or not.

I'm assuming that you have Samba installed and running. If you don't then go back and read the install file. When configuring Samba, you can have it read the new configuration without having to relaunch Samba. As root (which you need to be to edit the conf file in the first place) you can type "kill -hup" followed by the process ID of the Samba daemon process (program name is smbd). If you don't know about process ID's you need to do some more reading on the basics of administering Linux. If you have SWAT set up then it is much easier to confugure Samba, the web interface has a button you can click on to restart the Samba daemon and apply the new configuration.

Things that I have set up on my systems (in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file)
Code:
[global]

# 1. Server Naming Options:
# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = HOME

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  guest account = guest

#====== Share Definitions =============
[folding1]
    comment = Folding@Home 1
    path = /home/fah/foldingathome/CPU1
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    only guest = yes

Note that there are a lot more setting in the conf file, and I have most of them turned off. RTFM to see what they all do.

Sometimes my Samba config will cause the browsing to go kaput. You can still map to other systems, but the Samba browser (nmbd) is doing something screwy. If you can see the Linux system from your Windows Network Neighborhood then you've got the worst of it over with. Any further problems will be due to file and user permissions. To make the folding directory accessible over Samba you need to allow the Samba login to have access - this does put your folding system at a slightly higher risk of compromise, but if you're going to be ruinning Windows on the same network you've already compromised your network.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help at other forums, most teams will help out a folder regardless of who he folds for.

Fold on!
edit: typos! :eek:

Back