networking linux with windows

the linux machine is running fedora core 3 and the windows is xp pro. they are both connected to the internet through a linksys router/switch

can someone explain this to me

It doesnt sound like there's much to explain, unless you have a question.

Basically, both your computers have an Ethernet network adapter. They are both cabled with Category 3/5/5e/6 cabling with RJ45 connectors. Both computers are using the TCP/IP protocol to communicate over the network and gain access to the router, where Network Address Translation (NAT, or PAT if you wanna be anal about it) takes places allowing both computers to share the connction simultanously.

Really though, my answer is half me being a smart-ass. Are there any questions you have or something specific thats confusing you?

well since the title of the thread was called networking linux and windows, i figured people would understand that that was what i wanted to know about. guess i was wrong. yes i know they are both connect uses a RJ45, i connected them. i want to know how to make the two see each other. Can you explain the process to network them together so i can send files from one machine to the other.

Can you explain the process to network them together so i can send files from one machine to the other.
The widely accepted solution to using a *nix box with CIFS is SAMBA. It's pretty much point'n'shoot.

babystewie363 said:
well since the title of the thread was called networking linux and windows, i figured people would understand that that was what i wanted to know about. guess i was wrong.

I hate to be a picky bastard, but 'networking them together' does NOT imply setting up file sharing between the 2. For example, they are already 'networked' in the sense that they are on the same IP subnet and each can send packets to the other.

But anyway, Samba is what you want. I'd help you more, but I've never set up Samba, though I have seen some configs and once it's installed it's pretty straightforward.

babystewie363 said:
well since the title of the thread was called networking linux and windows, i figured people would understand that that was what i wanted to know about.
No, what you should have called the thread was: "How do I setup file sharing between a linux and win32".

Networking is simply the two machines talking to each other across the wire, which is what they are doing when you plugged them in. ARP requests and such.

Samba is what you want. Tell me specifically what you are after and I will give you some links.

Ditto to what's been said. I would just add a recommendation to google. Linux windows file sharing or setup samba linux windows. Some phrasing like that. You'll get hundreds of hits and quite a few How-To's. Google is typically the answer for about 80% of the questions asked in this and any tech forum but it suits your query perfectly. THEN come back and post if you have any specific questions.

If you look for some FC3 forums, they usually have tutorials. I am a linux idiot, and I got samba working with my 2k & xp boxes in like 15 minutes. VNC on the other hand :mad:

there are tons of vnc threads in the unix forum...

i actually isnt too hard to startup

side question: Can SAMBA authenticate against a Win 2003 Functional Level AD?

i have integrated a SAMBA server with a Windows 2000 domain for authentication in the past... it is probably possible to do with 2003 as well.

Back