Networking Linux and Windows

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Workstation
-IP: 192.168.0.1

Server
-IP: 192.168.0.2

I have the defualt gateway as 192.168.0.1 because the workstation is the machine connected to the internet.
Basically what i want to do is use the server as to put all of my data on so i can format the workstation. I have the IPs entered but they arent talking. any help would be great. Im very very new to linux.

Do you have them directly connected to one another via a crossover cable, or are you running them through a hub? It would be a lot easier if you were running WinXP as it has a DHCP server built in for sharing internet connections.

Windows 2000 has ICS with a dhpc server as well.

When you say they aren't talking, you mean they can't even ping each other?

My mistake, I thought that was a new feature in XP.

It should be fairly easy then..

you just have to decide the means in which you're going to transfer the files.. samba is probably the easiest. ftp is also an option.

yes its through a x over. No i dont think they will ping. They dont even acknowledge each other. windows thinks there is a link but i think thats just cause there is a cable plugged into the ethernet card. I really wish i could get windows 2000 advanced server on it but it has issues seeing the raid array.

You don't think they'll ping each other or they actually won't ping each other? If you haven't tried pinging each other then that should be the first step. If windows sees a link then the physical connection is most likely okay. Windows doesn't show a link just because a cable is plugged into the nic; the cable has to be plugged into something at the other end as well for windows to show a link. So it's got to be something with your network settings. Though it looks like they are set up properly, so I don't know what the deal is.

German Muscle said:
yes its through a x over. No i dont think they will ping. They dont even acknowledge each other. windows thinks there is a link but i think thats just cause there is a cable plugged into the ethernet card. I really wish i could get windows 2000 advanced server on it but it has issues seeing the raid array.

...Advanced server has more features than youll need honestly.

What you want to so is setup a samba server on the ubuntu box. Google samba server, its most likely built into your distro. Or you could always setup vsftpd and have an ftp server running.

If you can ssh to the linux computer (with e.g. putty), you can use WinSCP to connect to it to transfer files.
It's not unlikely that the linux box has sshd running already, and if it does you won't have to configure anything else.

Are they connected with a cross over cable? If so you should be able to ping if setting are correct. After that you will need Samba installed on the Ubuntu machine.

Back