• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Networking in a Condo.

DariustheSandman

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
107
Well, I recently moved in to a three bedroom condo. I'm the only one who really cares about the internet connection, so I was hoping to set up the U-verse and the new WRT320N i got in the office. Well, it seems I'm not going to get my wish, at least without a bit of work. The U-verse had to go through the next room over, which unfortunately not the office, but a roommates bedroom. Well she's been in there about 10 days now, so there's no way she's going to switch.

So it looks like I might have to do a bit of creative routing with the cable. I was thinking about going through the attic with it and just doing a drop, but might be a bit difficult. So, I was thinking about just doing some plastic or metal ducting. I know what the stuff looks like, but I'm not quite sure how big a job it is. If any of you have tips or products that worked well for you in the past, I would appreciate it. Here's the layout of the place...excuse my lame quick paint drawing.

Condo.jpg
 
You could always run the cables against the walls and have them go under doors. If your place is carpeted it won't look as ugly as if you had hardwood floors. Then again you could always get cable runners.
 
You could always run the cables against the walls and have them go under doors. If your place is carpeted it won't look as ugly as if you had hardwood floors. Then again you could always get cable runners.

Mix of hardwood and carpet. Carpet in bedrooms/office, wood floors in hall/kitchen/living room.
 
What existing wiring is available? You may be able to use it.

Well as far as I can tell, there are coaxial wall ports in all the rooms. I'm sure it would have been easier to go the cable route instead, but I am one amongst 3 votes, so I got outvoted on pretty much everything in this deal...can you tell? :p 2 women v. 1 guy. I guess it would be possible to replace those with Ethernet, but someone would have to walk me through something like that, I have no clue. I could take pictures of everything this afternoon if that would help.
 
Uverse require some sorta special connection? Unlike ADSL and Cable internet :confused:

If your not sharing files between computers why not just setup wireless?
 
Uverse require some sorta special connection? Unlike ADSL and Cable internet :confused:

If your not sharing files between computers why not just setup wireless?

Well the thing is, There are two laptops and one desktop. The desktop is in the office. Where the line comes in is not my bedroom or office, so it would be a bit of a pain to hook up multiple computers up to my router to transfer files in her bedroom, when I could have everything in the office. Also, I am going to have a 2nd desktop for my girlfriend in the near future, and I would like to have it in the office as well.

Also, I'm a big enough geek that I notice the difference between wired and wireless, even browsing, so I'd just assume have as much wired as possible, or at least my main desktop machine. I'd have ethernet drops in the whole place if I didn't think it give my landlord a stroke.
 
Not completely related but...
My wife and I are renting a townhouse from a very nice older lady. When we moved in there were some plumbing issues that caused some walls to be opened up so I took that opportunity to run 4 ethernet lines from the basement up to the second floor loft where our computers are. I used a retro fit low voltage wall plate where a coax line was run so there's no new holes in the walls. It's all nice and neat so there's little chance that the land lady will ever notice.
 
Well as far as I can tell, there are coaxial wall ports in all the rooms. I'm sure it would have been easier to go the cable route instead, but I am one amongst 3 votes, so I got outvoted on pretty much everything in this deal...can you tell? :p 2 women v. 1 guy. I guess it would be possible to replace those with Ethernet, but someone would have to walk me through something like that, I have no clue. I could take pictures of everything this afternoon if that would help.

You might be able to use some MOCA adapters.
 
I still do stand the recommendation of using cable raceways. See if you're allowed to replace or add to the wall moulding. http://cableorganizer.com/cable-raceway/ That will make it look better.

Wireless N is just as fast, if not faster than MOCA.

Since the guy before me who was there, pretty much just stapled the coax cable to the baseboards, I don't think using that kind of thing is going to piss anyone off. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just trying to weigh all my options.
 
Back
Top