networking.... can I have a private network at home using work group names?

Pocatello

DC Moderator and [H]ard DCOTM x6
Staff member
I have about ten computers at home.

If I want to keep my kids off of my computers, could I just change their workgroup and keep them out of my computer?

I recently set up "Untangle" for my home firewall appliance using an older PC. I guess I could put my computers on one network, with a second network for my kid's and wife's computer. I could figure that out, but I was hoping for something simpler.

If the work group name is changed, will that keep those computer away from prying eyes?

Or is there an easier way to accomplish this? Thanks.

p.s. I love Untangle. If you are thinking of making your own firewall, it really works fantastic!

No, you can easily drill through different workgroups..it's no measure of security at all.

If you want to keep the kids off of the computers....use a good password on the Administrator account that they don't know. And create good passwords for any other users on the PC that they won't know. Log off/lock workstation when you leave. And if you do any file sharing in between your PCs...share only to your accounts...not the "Everyone" group.

Yeah..Untangle is cool! Best *nix router distro I've come across.

you could use subnets to do it, but you will cut off them computers totally from yours (unless you use an internal VPN when needed to bridge the subnets) but its getting way to confusing.

okay, I won't use workgroups.

I already have a password on all computers. I'm not concerned about them using my computer directly, but rather them seeing my files thru file sharing.

I will have to look again at the file sharing and "not for everyone" restrictions. That is new to me.

Thanks!

What are these kids like pro hackers? They won't be able to see any files you DON'T share, or DON'T put in a shared folder.

What are these kids like pro hackers? They won't be able to see any files you DON'T share, or DON'T put in a shared folder.

+2 just don't share any files or put them in any file sharing folders and you're set.

and turn off file-sharing, lol.

Well.... I like file sharing, and I need to share files between my computers.

+2 just don't share any files or put them in any file sharing folders and you're set.

But I gotta do some file sharing with my files!

No pro hackers in my house. But my kids know how to click on "network connections" and see what is on the other computers.

Just restrict access to the shared files.

How? Without turning off file sharing?

Or should I just turn off file sharing on their computers, not mine?

In the folder sharing properties you should be able to set access for specific users through Permissions button - but that is assuming Simple File Sharing is turned off.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

( from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 )

In the folder sharing properties you should be able to set access for specific users through Permissions button - but that is assuming Simple File Sharing is turned off.

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:
1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

( from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040 )

^^^ was going to suggest.

Just tell them that if they access anything on those pc's the boogie man is going to come and eat their soul. That should work pretty well in keeping them away. :cool:

It sounds to me like setting up a VLAN may be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth when user access permissions are designed to do exactly what you're describing.

Just do what everyone is saying and remove the everyone group from the shared folders, make sure simple file sharing is turned off, and make sure the accounts on your PC have a password.

It should then prompt you for a password when you go to open your pr0n folder from one of your other machines ;) :p

Back