Networking between PC and Mac?

ceejamon

[H]ard|Gawd
All my friends use Windows XP, but I have a powerbook. How can I share files and such with PCs on a network?

It's obviously possible, as there's a program called Dave out there that allows it. I've also seen somebody do something within Terminal (something to do with mounting) that allowed it, but I lost it when I disconnected from the network. How do I do it without buying a program?

too bad the search has been disabled, this has been discussed extensively in the past, but of course it matters what OS you're running if you will need a program or not, OS X doesn't need one but OS 9 does (at least to my knowledge)

and 10.3 makes mounting SMB volumes even easier...the easiest thing to do is turn on FTP sharing if you are running 10.x, get the IP address of your comp as well as your short user name, go into a browser on the PC and ftp to your comp...very easy but it is also fairly easy to connect to the PC from the Mac but you have to know the login info for the PC and that can be blah!

DOH! I'm a 'tard. I wish search worked, it'd probably eliminate all of my posts here.

Wont you need to install appletalk protocol in the M$ box??
im using pcmaclan and im having trouble transfering files between my iBook G4(panther)and the XP box.. when my G4 tower running OS9 seems fine.. so my files from the iBook will be like taking a flight to europe.. ALWAYS need to inter-exchange..

Mac(OSX) <--->Mac(OS9)<--->WindowsXP

some advise will be appriciate :(

Originally posted by Sinister6
im using pcmaclan and im having trouble transfering files between my iBook G4(panther)and the XP box.. when my G4 tower running OS9 seems fine.. so my files from the iBook will be like taking a flight to europe.. ALWAYS need to inter-exchange..

nooo

OS X uses TCP/IP so stuff is a lot easier these days.

Originally posted by Sinister6

For Panther: In Finder, click the network icon, double-click the workgroup for your XP box, double-click the XP box's name, enter username and password if required, browse files.

To access the mac from xp, enable windows sharing and login in the mac's system settings, then use network neighborhood on xp like you normally would.

Just install a FTPD on the Windows XP boxes, network browsing is trash on both OS'es. If you are gonna go that route tho, you'll need to have a username and password on each xp box, or use on of theres, I would suggest having them make you one on each machine.

The most reliable way is to just use an FTPD. There are a couple shareware and a free on XP.

Well, I got it figured out. In OSX, all I had to do was go into Sharing under System Preferences and turn on Windows Sharing. I had no problem sending stuff from one computer to the other. I'm a PC user.. I'm used to everything being complicated. :)

Back