Networking Asus Printer Woes

dcbiii

Weaksauce
Been a while, but here goes:

Was running a pretty standard network at home with a PC over ethernet, few laptops, phones, etc with a low end netgear router. Had a pretty vanilla \ out of the box setup with a Brother MFC-7360N doing network scanning \ printing without any issues, every computer (and even cell phones) were able to wirelessly print, and the PCs could easily scan over the network. I previously used the Brother utility to install it on each PC, with no issues.

Router eventually died, so I picked up a new one. Asus RT-AC52U.

Plug the printer via ethernet to the router, and bam, issues. Printer can't be found over the network. I can't ping it. I can't see it over my network. The Brother utilities can't locate it.

The router can ping the printer, but my computer cannot.

I can use the Asus "USB Network Printer Server" utility to print, but not scan (if I abandon ethernet printing and plug the USB cable from the printer to the router).

The Brother utility cannot locate the printer, despite me having tried every combination of manually assigning the printer an IP, reserving it in the Asus Router Panel, etc.

Both devices have been turned off \ reset \ etc.

Any advice? $10 Paypal to anybody that can solve my issue, I'm at my wits end.

Last edited:
Why are you not connecting by IP which is standard? Does the Brother get eth link at all (I've seen issue where some printers doesn't like all kinds of switch chips)? Can you print a status page that tells what IP it have?
//Danne

Why are you not connecting by IP which is standard? Does the Brother get eth link at all (I've seen issue where some printers doesn't like all kinds of switch chips)? Can you print a status page that tells what IP it have?
//Danne

This happens, presumably because my computer cannot ping \ communicate with the printer.

G1VLERJ.png

I'm guessing that this is some shitty Asus firewall or router related issue that I'm too much of a noob to diagnose.

Some more screencaps:

Note the printer being visible on the right, the 192.168.1.129 address
DHC3Lpd.png

Manually assigned IP for Printer:
0T0UjGTl.png

Successful ping from Router to Printer, and failure to ping from computer to printer:
kyF7JQA.png

Last edited:
The ping thing's gotta be a firewall setting in the router itself? No internal pinging for some reason? :confused:

Can you run an ipconfig on your computer and post a screenshot of that too?

P.S. Any reason you blurred out your background on your PC but freely post your WAN ip address on a public forum? :)

Back