Networking and VoIP

killerasp

Gawd
I just made a discovery at my office today. We use VoIP in the office. We have connection going to VoIP phone and from there, a connection to the computers NIC. I just realized that by doing this, each computer is capped at 10mbps. For those that do use their VoIP phone to relay their network connection, is it common place to have the connection capped at 10mbps?

As i redesign the network, im thinking about putting the phones on their own switch. Do you think this is a good idea?

What model of phones are you using. I'm pretty sure that new models support 10/100 Mbps. If you do decide to put them on their own switch, make sure it supports QoS.

We've been running Cisco VoIP here for about 2 years now and although the switches in each phone are marked as 10/100, they are 10. We filed a TAC case with Cisco and have yet to see an answer. This really only makes a diff if you need 100 on the workstation connected to the phone. I went ahead and put an 8 port switch in my cube, because I FTP files a lot and I need the throughput. As for putting all the phones on a seperate switch, they don't use that much bandwidth IMO. We have 200+ phones here and we're fine.

To save on wiring costs that is the recommended solution for VoIP - Wire from the outlet to the phone, then from the phone to the computer NIC. This is done via VLANing. If your network requires low bandwidth applications then that is sufficient. Otherwise you'd be doing what I did - Voice network and a completely separate data network (that eventually tie in through our corporate router). No idea why your bandwidth is capped though. You'd have to telnet/ssh into your switch and figure that one out there. It could also be the phone.

Typhoon - What kind of Cisco phones do you use?

shade91 said:
To save on wiring costs that is the recommended solution for VoIP - Wire from the outlet to the phone, then from the phone to the computer NIC. This is done via VLANing.

nm..im stupid..i cant read.

i hate to bring a back an old thread, but i need some more viewpoints on my VoIP situation.

Back