Networking advice needed.

andypnb

Gawd
Hey guys,

I need some advice on expanding the wireless coverage in the house.

The house is three floors, and wired for ethernet. I currently have an n router at the modem entry point that works wonders and distributes internet throughout the rest of the house.

But its wireless gets weak at the other end of the house. So I am looking for a new device there. I have ethernet, so I can plug in whatever new thing I get.

Should I get a new router and run it as a wap only? I saw the cisco 1200 for $20 on amazon and it fits the budget. I assume with it I will set up a new ssid network, and have two wireless networks covering the house.

Is there a mode or device that will extend the current wireless network and use the same ssid as the current one? As in two devices running one wireless network?

3 Options listed in my preferred order:

1. Turn off your wifi on your router. Get 2 Open-Mesh AP's and feed them both with ethernet.

2. Turn off your wifi on your router. Get 2 regular access points, have one on channel 1 and the second on channel 11. Set them up with the same SSID and encryption.

3. Get an access point and set it up with the same SSID and encryption as the router.

Either way, don't get a second router and set it up as an AP. It'll work but it's just not designed for it.

The reason I reccomend the Open-Mesh AP's is because of the routing protocall they use. It's really good for client roaming. Read up on the B.A.T.M.A.N routing protocall.

All 3 options will work, and with all 3 options the client will detect a stronger signal and connect to the closes AP.

Back