Networking a Printer Across 2 Different OS'es

Hey guys, a friend of mine is trying to create the possibility of a desktop PC and a laptop PC being able to share a printer that is connected to a router and the desktop PC.

The desktop PC is currently running Windows Vista and I'm suspicious that it remains the culprit. The laptop is within the same floor and running Windows XP Professional with SP2, feeding off the wireless internet signal that the Linksys WRT54G is broadcasting. Both are now set up on a network of the identical name, but the results aren't apparent.

With the exception of faulty hardware, which I don't ascertain to be the problem, because individually, neither setup appears to be faulty in my tests, what might be the conflicting issue? I don't work with Vista often, but I couldn't imagine the compatibility would be that skewed.

I cannot say that I work with Windows Vista often but in earlier versions of Windows you are able to add the specific drivers for an O/S through the share.

In Windows XP you acomplish this by going to the Printer that is being shared. Under its properties page click the "sharing" tab and then click on "Additional Drivers" Under here you can load various OS' drivers so things do not BSOD or explode.

I am sure that Vista has a similar setting. If not, sorry to send you on a rat race!

so is this printer hooked up to the router or a computer?

if the router ..just add new printer wizard and put in its IP address .. download drivers for it first

if its connected to the Vista box ..then just share the printer and the laptop will be able to see in on the network ..double click on the printer icon that shows up being shared on your Vista box and then it will ask for drivers and all that ..

you might have to fiddle with some of the Vista network settings so the printer is an open share not requiring a password and all that

I share printers between Vista, XP and Ubuntu without issue using both networked printers (they have their own IP address) and printers hooked up to an Edubuntu box ... at home I have an XP box hooked up to an Epson and it shares the printer with my main Vista Ultimate box and another XP machine

firewall settings in Vista can be a smidge of a booger to configure if you've never messed with it before is all :)

[F]old|[H]ard

Thanks for your input guys, I'll try them.

The printer is definitely hooked up to the router though.

In XP (Vista will be similar) when you right click the printer icon on the sharing computer you can add the drivers for different OS's and also change the sharing options.

Back