Networking a Hard Drive

Proko

n00b
My computer is running XP Pro SP1. I have been able to share my drive but I can not connect to it from other computers. I get a forced guest login entry. The log in box is grayed out and has PROKO\guest in it, it can not be changed. I can use my admin password to get in with the guest login, but can’t use any thing else.

I was wondering if any one had any ideas of what could be going on or any good web sites that I can get help with this.

=Proko

Go into folder properties and then to the Advanced tab and look for simeple filre sharing. Turn that off.

Alright that kinda fixed the problem. I am able to connect to the drives if I right click on my computer and click add network drive. I am still unable to connect by going to run \\proko\gunslinger. I get the same greayed out login box. Any one have any ideas?

Proko said:
Alright that kinda fixed the problem. I am able to connect to the drives if I right click on my computer and click add network drive. I am still unable to connect by going to run \\proko\gunslinger. I get the same greayed out login box. Any one have any ideas?

Under File Sharing, check out the Security Settings, make sure all have access to it, might solve it

in a workgroup enviroment, make sure that all pc's have the same user/pass on each pc. i.e.. if pc1 has four users, make sure that pc2 has at least the same four users witht he same password. This will work with just one user as well but i usually like to make sure that if anyone else is logged in on that pc that they can access it

b

in a workgroup enviroment, make sure that all pc's have the same user/pass on each pc. i.e.. if pc1 has four users, make sure that pc2 has at least the same four users witht he same password. This will work with just one user as well but i usually like to make sure that if anyone else is logged in on that pc that they can access it

I think he is trying to say: you need to create an account on the host(where the share is) computer for each computer(client) needing access, using the same user/pass as the client computer. Make these accounts at control panel/admin tools/comp mngmnt/users groups.

Remember to add the user account for each computer you wish to allow access to both the sharing tab of the share, and the security tab. Adding the everyone group gives access to everyone but this also must be done on the security tab.

Back