network won't stay networked

lukeh182

Gawd
i have two winxp pro sp2 computers hooked to a router. i have gone through all the setup and stuff to get them networked to share files and printer. it will work right after i go through the setup but if i restart or wait very long they can no longer see each other on the network. what am i doing wrong?

"see each other" is not very helpful. When everything is working, try opening a DOS prompt on each machine, and verify that you can ping the other machine, as well as the router. When the problem happens, repeat the ping test and see if one of the machines can't ping any more.

i've already pinged each computer and get responses back. when i say can't see each other i mean that if you open up my network places or my workgroup nothing shows up. no printer, no folders, no computer.

and I assume that you cannot see them after refreshing multiple times?

If so, try typing in the exact name of the computer in the windows explorer address bar. if workgroup name of the computer is "laptop" type in \\laptop\ and press enter and see if that eiter works, or returns an error message.

elguapo said:
and I assume that you cannot see them after refreshing multiple times?
correct

If so, try typing in the exact name of the computer in the windows explorer address bar. if workgroup name of the computer is "laptop" type in \\laptop\ and press enter and see if that eiter works, or returns an error message.
i get an error message when i do that. says it cannot find it and to check spelling

i just discovered that i can see the workgroup and both computers on my computer, but not on the other one in my network. i still cannot access the files or printer though.

sounds like a firewall issue, turn off any software firewalls on either of the comptuers, shoudl solve the issue

maxedoutcc said:
sounds like a firewall issue, turn off any software firewalls on either of the comptuers, shoudl solve the issue

It might solve the issue but it's not a good way to solve it.

Back to the issue of \\computer_name\ not working, does it work if you type the IP address instead of the computer_name?

Next do you even have a software firewall in use? TinyFW, ZoneAlarm, or WindowXP Firewall. All can be configured to work with Windows File and Print Sharing, so just turning them off isn't needed.

Do you know if Simple File Sharing is turned on?

And if all else fails try reading thru this:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm

i typed in the ip address in the address bar and now it works! thank you much. by the way just to answer your question i'm using norton firewall, and filesharing was turned on

Back