Network Wiring: Finished Basement to Upstairs

Arju

[H]ard|Gawd
Wireless sucks for consistancy... my signal is really weak and wireless is slow.

How can I wire up my house? My basement is finished and I need to go from basement to second floor

Any good Toronto installers you guys can recommend?

I dont know of any installers, especially not ones in Toronto.

However, if you can get the Cat5e cable from room to room, putting on the jacks are fairly easy. I'd recommend Leviton jacks. Sure, they are a little pricey, but they are the best I've used. Pick yourself up a patch panel off ebay and you're all set. A punch down tool would be nice to have, however the multi-packs of leviton jacks come with a small plastic tool thats sufficient since you're not doing this for a living. Getting the cable from room to room is really the only hard part to it.

If you have any specific questions on what to use, just ask and I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

I just finished doing my setup today. What I did:

Centralized in computer room closet - Motorola Surboard, Linksys 4-Port Router, and Dell 16 Port Switch.

Coaxial cable comes into the computer room throught a splitter to the Modem, the LAN cable from the router goes to the WAN port on the router, and the Uplink on the Router goes to Port-1 on the switch.

I ran 3 drops into my bedroom, 3 drops into the computer room, and 1 drop into the master bedroom. I used keystone jacks and plates from www.cat5direct.com .

If you want any pictures let me know.

IveBeenBad said:
I just finished doing my setup today. What I did:

Centralized in computer room closet - Motorola Surboard, Linksys 4-Port Router, and Dell 16 Port Switch.

Coaxial cable comes into the computer room throught a splitter to the Modem, the LAN cable from the router goes to the WAN port on the router, and the Uplink on the Router goes to Port-1 on the switch.

I ran 3 drops into my bedroom, 3 drops into the computer room, and 1 drop into the master bedroom. I used keystone jacks and plates from www.cat5direct.com .

If you want any pictures let me know.

How is your cable signal with the splitter, 99% of the time you will get very bad signal (cable light going out at random times?) i just ran in a new line for the modem cause i was haveing such bad signal issues (my speed is 3GBs vs 1.25GBs on the split line).

mjcason said:
How is your cable signal with the splitter, 99% of the time you will get very bad signal (cable light going out at random times?) i just ran in a new line for the modem cause i was haveing such bad signal issues (my speed is 3GBs vs 1.25GBs on the split line).

I havent had a single problem yet, but I will be running new lines soon anyways, my house is circa 1970 and the cable could use an upgrade.

I have my cable coming into the basement, split there to 4 locations and cable modem is on the 2nd floor in my computer closet. I haven't had any problems like what you talk about mjcason in 13 months being here. My net speed is consistently 2200/280 or higher.

Arju - it depends on how handy you are. There are a few concerns/questions here:
Are you going from the basement because you have a router/switch in the basement or is that just where the cable/dsl is coming in?
Is it against an outside wall? If so, you have to deal with insulation in the wall.

You'll want to try to route the cable through an inside wall that doesn't have any obstructions. Conduit might be the best way to go... do you know if perhaps the builder used conduit? Also how old is the house? The older it is, the more dust in the walls you have to deal with.

If you're handy and you plan it well you can do it. I do homes and small businesses as part of my consulting business and there are tons of guys here with more experience than me too so we should be able to help you out.

Arju said:
Wireless sucks for consistancy... my signal is really weak and wireless is slow.

How can I wire up my house? My basement is finished and I need to go from basement to second floor

Any good Toronto installers you guys can recommend?

What is your budget? And how many runs are you interested in?

Ok....

The Cable comes in through the basement... and my computer is down here. The basement was finished 2 years ago and the ceiling is drywalled. The house is maybe 20 years old tops. Also, I plan on one run upstairs and one run in the basement.

Upstairs is the office with a wireless laptop and a second computer that will serve as a print server and the family computer.

Would running cable outside be a viable option? The basement room, Upstairs room and the cable coming into the house share the same side of the house.

They sell these drill bits that are flexible... like 5 feet long, that should help you a lot...

Back