Network+ vs MCTS W2K8 Net Infrastructure, Config.

Burnsy

Limp Gawd
I recently recieved my cert as MCP Active Directory, config (70-640), due to a job I just had. I currently work in Data Security, as opposed to maintain a MS environment.

My plan is to get my security+ and then eventually CISSP. So thats why I am thinking of the network+ cert. (pre-req for security+)

My question is, is there any downside to getting my cert for MCTS W2K8 Net Infrastructure, Confiig. 70-642 vs the network+ cert or vice versa? is the 70-642 too specialized for microsoft and not an overall network? Would employers rather see a network+ cert vs a 70-642, especially if your not maintaining a microsoft environment?

I figured they both cover network configurations as well as I'd be once step close to getting my MCITP (again my career path has steered away from any kind of job role where I could put that to use, but wouldnt hurt incase I go down that path)

so all in all, which is better, more useful in the long run?

In my opinion go for the MS cert use it for MCITP later if its apart of a track your interested in skip net+ its not a pre-reg for sec+ no idea where you got that from. Sec+ can be taken on its own.

the network+ is "recommended" pre-req for security+

I just have the feeling that the network+ is a broader Network cert

But I feel the MS Network seems more credible but also more specialized to a MS network/administration and since i no longer administer a MS environment, ill have the cert but no practical expierience (i guess that could also apply to network+ tho)

there is never a downside to a cert... other than the cost to take it I guess...

I select new tests/certs using the following priority system:

1. Is it relevant to the job I have/want?
2. Is it fun/something I'm personally interested in?
3. Does is look cool/meaningful on my resume?

Which test is right for you really depends on what you want to do down the road or the skills you need/want for your current position.

I try to stick with technology that has a wide application which is why I'm finishing CCSP now since I work with ASAs/FWSMs a lot and will circle back to CCIE R&S since that interests me and looks good on my resume. My $0.02.

I'm taking a stab in the dark, but I'd think as a whole you might be better off trying to finish up your MCITP. The Win 2k8 Configuring Network Infrastructure covers a good deal on subnetting, VPN tunneling, WSUS etc. while also keeping you in tune with the OS. Of course this is going to depend on what field you're aiming at. I couldn't tell you if your going to stick with Data Security or move back to managing a MS environment, but it seems the MS cert might give a few more options down the road.

Just my .02

Net+ & Sec+ will be a lot easier to study for when compared to MS exams. so you may just want to knock that out real quick. given your experience you should be able to pass Sec+ w/o doing Net+. if you take 70-642, you will be one exam away from MCITP: SA which I think will hold a lot of weight but it doesnt seem your going for the System Admin path..

Back