Network using Electrical Outlets?

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Hello,

We just moved and I dont want to run cat5 throughout the attic and start cutting outlets in the walls yet. I have had really bad luck with wireless and prefer not to use it. I will eventually run cat5 and make permanent walljacks.

Has anyone ever used these and can tell me more about them? It looks like you just plug it to an electrical outlet. Connect your router/modem to one and put some more around the house so the rest of the PC's can plug in to. They claim 85mbs which aint to bad.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XE104G.aspx

I will have 5 users in the house sharing a iDSL or T1 connection.

Powerline varies in different homes. The throughput performance will range depending on the distance and the amount of interference in your electrical lines have. This is usually ideal for small homes.

The home is 11 years old so the wiring shouldnt be to bad. I am getting ISDL installed this week but I doubt it is going to be sufficient for all my family to use. Everyone is a pretty heavy user and my brother and I game alot.

We moved out in the country and IDSL from Covad was my only option of a low latency connection. The last two weeks I have looked into the cost of a T1 and the cheapest I have got was 380 a month for one :mad:. This has been a rough transition since our house in town we had business package cable with Comcast that was 10mb down and had powerboost. If this IDSL is utter crap then T1 it is.

just run the wires, why waste money just do it right the first time.

i have never had those work. wireless would be better then those imo

but i rather just run the wires once and be done with it, not hard at all.

do you have a basement/crrawl spce?

I've heard of people using them with great success, but it really is luck of the draw.

BTW, You realize a T1 is 1.5Mb/s right? If 10Mb/s was sufficient, your going to be very disappointed with a T1. Keep the DSL, most likely it will be 2+Mb/s.

I've used them in a few situations. With a pair of them...not a single issue. I had moved into a 3 story house, I'm renting it til I sell my old house and find a new one to purchase...so didn't want the bother of running CAT from the first floor to the 3rd floor.

I online game a lot..so latency and stability are important to me..I'm very picky, and quite frankly..wireless sucks for online gaming. Slapped in a pair of the Linksys ones....and it was as solid as if I ran CAT from my computer right down to the router.

Current generation ones are supposed to do 200 megs..but realistic throughput is just shy of a hundred. For broadband..that's far from a bottleneck.

Literally plug and pluy..just plug them in..and they find each other..make the bridge..and you're up and running without any more work. If you live in a multi-home building...apartment complex, etc...you'll want to fire up the encryption on them..else by chance if a neighbor also uses one..and is on the same AC circuit as you are, it's almost like an open wireless network of you're on default settings (name and no encryption)

I did run into issues when I went to add a 3rd one...occasionally they'd need a power cycle..it's like the auto find feature had a hard time dealing with 3x units. That was the Linksys brand.

Thanks for the responses guys, I may try these netgear ones out and if they dont cut just return them and ill get the spool of cat5 out.

I Know the T1 isnt that fast but the IDSL im getting is only 130k/130k and I am really far from my CO so I am not sure what the speeds are gonna be like on it.

Back