Network Topology

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
What do you use for planning how a network will be laid out? Visio? I'm looking to create something less conceptual and more actual. I'm considering using one of those 3d home builder applications that lets you export to VRML. I want to create a 3d representation of the actual network and its devices. Got any suggestions? Customizing is important. If you don't have any suggestions do you think it's a cool idea?

Personally I use Visio. For my needs it is simple to create a network map and manage changes.

Second vote for Visio. No need to get too complicated with 3d layouts and such.

Yea, Visio is perfect for network setups.

if you try and do a 3d setup you could 'miss' that router you placed in the closet or whatever.

If you really wanted to get special, in Visio you could draw an overhead view of the house, like a blueprint and put the network componets in their respective rooms

Another one for Visio.

Very user friendly, and most big companies have stencils available for their products if you want close detail.

Man, in my Cisco class, I discovered a plugin for visio that made it even more functional for designing networks. It was made by the same company that makes their own network designer, but I can't remember the name.

But yes, Visio.

If it's for work or you have access to it, Visio.

If it's just for home use and you don't have Visio, Network Notepad is an excellent free program that'll do the job.

Visio is the obvious choice. If you can't afford it (or find a copy otherwise), there are few "freer" options.

I have liked Network Notepad for instances where I did not have Visio readily on-hand.
http://www.networknotepad.com/

The tool is free and does a very good job at getting the basics.

Back