Network Topology question.

Psylenced

n00b
Ok first a background.

We have DSL running into the house connected to a D-Link 4 port router.

I have an office on the property consisting of a permanently parked 40 foot travel trailer.

The trailer is wired for internet via an underground cat 5 cable running from the router to the trailer and my pc in it.

Now, I need to add a second PC to the trailer, but I only submerged one cat 5 cable.

What I need to know is if its possible to network both pc's for internet access, and if so, how?

I was thinking:

DSL to Router to Switch to PC 1 and PC 2 in trailer

Would this work? Or would I need a second router? I would prefer steering clear of a hub. The second PC is for a web server with an assigned DynDNS address, and I dont want all the traffic generated by it to be broadcast to all ports on a hub, at the same time I need the router or switch to be able to distinguish traffic destined for PC 2 (web server)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah just put a switch in the trailer and hook it up to the network and both computers.

IF it is for a web server, is it not possible to put it closer to the router? You should never have to access it directly once it is going. It 'could' live in a closet. The switch would work but you would be sharing the 100 bit line that goes back to the house.

If that doesn't make sense it is because I'm drunk. I'll clarify tomorrow if it doesn't

Yeah, add a switch and be done with it unless you want to move it closer to the router for whatever reason.

Copper0 said:
IF it is for a web server, is it not possible to put it closer to the router? You should never have to access it directly once it is going. It 'could' live in a closet. The switch would work but you would be sharing the 100 bit line that goes back to the house.

If that doesn't make sense it is because I'm drunk. I'll clarify tomorrow if it doesn't

It won't make much difference where the webserver is as he will be limited in how much traffic that web server will see by the speed of his WAN connection (DSL in this case). Only way that may be an issue is if you are pulling large ammounts of data over that single link to the trailer from a source on the local lan (another PC in your house) which it doesn't sound like that is the case. You should be fine hooking up a switch to that single Cat5 cable running into the trailer and then hooking up the 2 PC's in the trailer to that switch. You will probably want to setup a static IP address on the Server and then setup your current router to forward all web traffic to that address - so anything on port 80 presumably.

Hope that helps if you need clarification lmk
-Matt :cool:

Back