Network Technician Position

Tech

n00b
My Company is currently looking for a Network Technician to support the WAN connectivity of our fleet. We have quiet a few [H]'ers at the office so I figured dropping a line here only makes sense. If anyone of you guys are interested or know anyone who would be interested drop an e-mail to tech at shrocks dot com. I'm sure this is posted on Hotjobs or something but here's the internal Job Desc I received.

------------------------------------------------------
Network Technician
FLSA: Non-Exempt
Reporting To: IT Director

Education / Experience:

A Bachelors degree or previous relevant work experience. Experienced network technical support person familiar with TCP/IP, Cisco routers, switches, content switches and firewalls, broadband Internet options, such as DSL and cable modem and general communication troubleshooting.

This person should possession methodical, logical troubleshooting skills, be comfortable with both Linux and Windows environments, with emphasis on Windows networking. Patience, time management, good inter-personal skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks while under pressure are required.

Responsibilities: Provide network support for DG Systems internal systems and customers.

Job Duties:
* This position will respond to network issues.
* This position will coordinate DG’s broadband network installation and management
* Troubleshoot, repair, replace or escalate issues that will involve in house systems.
* Carry a pager for after hours support.
* Cross-train in other support areas as needed.
* Strive to provide all DG Systems customer’s excellent service.
* Work with management to enhance the department productivity.
* Other duties and projects as assigned.

The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a complete listing of all the skills and abilities required to do the job.

Addendum to Network Technician

This is the position of network technician / technical support. This position may be fulfilled internally as a promotion from a lower level position for the person with excellent computer skills and the aptitude / interest to grow to a higher level of technical expertise or by outside recruiting of an individual whom possesses the required hardware and software skills and experience.

Job duties responsibilities
This position is responsible to troubleshoot, maintain, repair, replace or escalate issues that will involve internal and external network equipment, and communication channels.

Required knowledge / skills / abilities:

* General PC hardware/software
* Extensive TCP/IP knowledge
* Extensive familiarity with Cisco products
* Extensive knowledge of broadband internet communications
* Ability to perform complex troubleshooting steps on Windows and Linux platforms
* Experience in the broadcast industry (Radio, TV or production studio) is a plus.

sounds like the perfect job for just out of college or something.
Here in about 4 years I will be moveing back to the DFW area, and would want to get something like that.

I'm not certain on compensation. If I had to venture I'd guess somewhere in the 35-45K range depending on experience and knowledge. I'll see if I can find out though.

Tech said:
I'm not certain on compensation. If I had to venture I'd guess somewhere in the 35-45K range depending on experience and knowledge. I'll see if I can find out though.

Ouch! That's some serious lowballing, especially for a metropolitan area like Dallas-Ft Worth. For the skills their requiring this position should be paying around $60K. Still, for someone just out of college or with only minimal experience its not that bad. Two years in that position and they'd be making that $60K/year.

Low ball offer. You won't get what is on that description but you will "find what you're looking for" :rolleyes:.

tech, just curious, what does DG systems do? I looked at all those pics on your website, looks like some pretty cool stuff.

I always wonder what "Extensive" knowledge covers. Would you have to be able to configure a cisco router or just know how it works. I mean the rest of that stuff I can do easily.

Back