Network taking forever to connect after bootup...

CompuG##K

Gawd
I just built the system at the top of my sig last weekend, and everything has been going very well, except for the fact that the network takes at least a full minute to connect after I boot. For that time, the system is completely unresponsive. After the network finally connects, everything is fine. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, I'm using a wired connection, I have the latest NIC drivers installed, and I have tried both ethernet ports to no avail.

Can anyone help shed some light on this problem?

Uncheck anything related to Link Layer and IPv6 in your TCP/IP properties. You can also disable Remote Differential Compression in your Add/Remove System Components section.

I'll try those suggestions out when I get home from work. Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

Bump. I've done all of the things you guys have suggested, to no avail. The network still takes at least a full minute to connect, with the system being unresponsive until it does. I've also set the system up on a static IP, didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

There was a conflict with Vista and the AIM program (AOHell Instant Messenger)...it blew up some network services in early Vista. Their latest version fixed the issue (think the version that fixed it came out Dec '07) , but if you installed a version from last year....I've seen several Vista rigs affected by this.

So...AIM installed by chance?

There was a conflict with Vista and the AIM program (AOHell Instant Messenger)...it blew up some network services in early Vista. Their latest version fixed the issue (think the version that fixed it came out Dec '07) , but if you installed a version from last year....I've seen several Vista rigs affected by this.

So...AIM installed by chance?

Nope. The only IM I have installed is Yahoo IM, and it's the latest version. You don't suppose it could be a driver issue do you? I installed the latest LAN drivers from Asus' site. Perhaps I'll try and install the ones that are on the driver disc...

Back