Network switch

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Just wondering if a network switch has an effect on the over all speeds of a network for each pc hooked up. Going to setup about 5-6 pcs in an office with a T3 connection in one cubical. We might not be able to get multiple cables setup for that cubical and might have to go with a network switch, just want to know if it will effect the speeds.

Also could I get some suggestions for a really good 6 port switch?

Thanks

Just wondering if a network switch has an effect on the over all speeds of a network for each pc hooked up. Going to setup about 5-6 pcs in an office with a T3 connection in one cubical. We might not be able to get multiple cables setup for that cubical and might have to go with a network switch, just want to know if it will effect the speeds.

Also could I get some suggestions for a really good 6 port switch?

Thanks

A T3 connection? I'm sure you don't mean a T carrier (T3 / DS3) connection?
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networkcables/f/t1_t3_lines.htm

Anyhow, in theory, yes, a switch will slow down a connection. Even on a switch, all the PC's connected to it have to share the uplink to the upstream device (another switch, router, etc). Cheap switches can also add latency and/or dropped packets under heavy load if they have caches which are too small.

However, these are edge cases. In practicality, you'll probably never encounter a situation where the switch appreciably degrades performance unless your users are video editors or you're connecting a NAS / SAN to the switch too (or otherwise putting a heavy load on a cheap switch).

If your users are the typical office worker types, then even a cheap gigabit switch is plenty good. Most of the time, the biggest bottleneck in SOHO networks is the internet connection itself... Knowing your expected usage type / patterns would help make a better recommendation. (Running VOIP, heavy file transfers, what else is connected to the network, etc?)

Back