Network Switch Advice

Wiseguy10k

n00b
I'm planning on running cat5e cable in my house and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommedations for a switch. My current setup is a Dlink DI-714P+ router connected to the DSL/Digital Cable box and a desktop connected to the router. It's a wireless B router but I'm planning on buying another desktop in the near future and I would prefer to have a working gigabit network available.

An 8-port switch is preferable.

Dlink makes some decent switches that will fill your needs as do most companies.

grethor said:
cisco 2900

Like he said, he's on a budget lol

Most 8-port pure gigabit switches are around ~$100, so that's not bad. Get either the SMC or the 3Com one

Not that it's cheap, but there are a lot of 2900's. The xl series is older and does not offer gigabit, but you might try:
WS-C2950G-12-EI
WS-C2950G-24-EI
WS-C2950G-24-EI-DC

No problem. I am considering getting the DLink DGS 1005D. It's 75 bucks canadian at this local store and it's in stock too. I recently purchased a new system with the DFI Lanparty NF4-Ultra-D board and I want to make use of the gigabit ports. It's only needed so I won't have to use my laptop as a wireless bridge.

Back