Network+ Study Book

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm almost ready to take my A+ exam and figured I'd move right onto the Network+, to give me something to build on before moving onto CCNA/CCND.

There are so many study books out there that I've no idea which is the "best". My A+ book is by Mike Meyers, but his Network+ edition has some bad reviews siting that there are a LOT of errors and false information.

Can anyone else recommend another Network+ study book?

well i got my net+ 5+ years ago so times may have changed, but i had good luck using the Network+ study guides from Sybex.

that being said, depending on how well you learn and your experience level I'd recommend skipping straight to CCNA. go for ICND1 - it covers everything in network+ plus some and also gets you on the road to a real cert. :)

Then wouldn't having the Network+ make the CCENT/CCNA that much easier?
The only reason I'm thinking this route, is I don't exactly have an open schedule for studying.
I have a full time job that I work 50+ hours a week, and I'm a father of a 1 year old. So the Network+ is easier to manage because I can self teach it and can work at my own pace. Unlike the CCNA which I'll have to sign up for some class for and fit my life into thier schedule.

The CCNA is the full certification and is your end goal but you can take the first half (CCENT) and earn the equivalent of the Network + while being half way to the CCNA. You can self study for the CCENT just as easily as the Network+. A class isn't required nor would I recommend it.

I'm not taking a class with my CCNA, I'm just reading the Cisco Press ICND 1 & 2 cert book as well as the Todd Lammle book, and practicing with Packet Tracer.

People study for Net+? I thought that was more of a go work in the industry for a year and then go spend $300 on the test for resume material when you are looking for a new job.

Seriously go for the cisco cert, it holds much more value in the industry.

I am studying for the N+ now.

After careful consideration I purchased two books:

Mike Meyers Network+ 4th edition (and yes it has a few errors) and Exam Cram Network + 3rd edition by Mike Harwood. (This is a more technical and meat and potatoes kind of book)

Mike Meyers books are great for concepts and understanding but sometimes lack in details and depth. Mike Harwood's books are very detailed and in depth but are weaker in the explaining "the basic concepts"

The two books compliment each other well.

I will be taking the CompTIA N+ this September.

Next spring I will be taking the Cisco CCENT and working my way through these: http://ciscoiseasy.blogspot.com/2010/08/lesson-1-make-yourself-at-home.html

Then wouldn't having the Network+ make the CCENT/CCNA that much easier?
The only reason I'm thinking this route, is I don't exactly have an open schedule for studying.
I have a full time job that I work 50+ hours a week, and I'm a father of a 1 year old. So the Network+ is easier to manage because I can self teach it and can work at my own pace. Unlike the CCNA which I'll have to sign up for some class for and fit my life into thier schedule.

This describes me exactly, although my daughter is only 11 months old ;)

I thought it would be difficult to learn all the cisco configurations and such when you don't have the equipment to actually try it all on first hand. I'm good at teaching myself, so I will surely go that route if it is doable.

What is Packet Tracer?

Packet Tracer is Cisco's software for router and switch simulation. I have found it very good and very speedy, I think it's Cisco Networking Academy only though unless you get it though less legal means like I had to which I think is stupid. I'm currently simulating a network with three routers, and twelve switches. I tried going the GNS3 route but I didn't like the switch limitations. I haven't run into anything that I have needed to do with the simulator that I haven't been able to as of yet.

Last edited:
Oh right on, so it's basically a software simulation of a full blown network? That's pretty cool

Yeah check out the videos on youtube and you can see how it works. I use it all the time at work when it's not busy, I'm lucky I can spend about 9hrs at work studying.

Yeah check out the videos on youtube and you can see how it works. I use it all the time at work when it's not busy, I'm lucky I can spend about 9hrs at work studying.

Uhhh isn't 9 hours like an entire shift?:eek::p

Yeah well if I'm busy at work it means something is wrong.

Anyway enough of the threadjack, I see that Todd Lammle has Network+ books they are something to look into because I really liked his CCNA book.

Last edited:
I have to admit, this seems a bit daunting to me.

I don't know if I want to get into networking, or just Sysadmin stuff.
There are such a wide scope of jobs out there, and they all seem so specialized on thier requirements, from having Unix/Linux knowledge, to SQL, to Dell and HP networking hardware, I just don't know which direction to head in.

I did look into the Todd Lammie N+ book. The Exam Cram book covers subnetting and a few other topics in more detail. Google as the first 15+ pages online available for viewing, Don't get me wrong the Lammie book is not a bad book, it just does not cover everything. The Exam Cram book does. Of course the consensus is the Lammie book is a more interesting read. But either way... you ARE looking at some of the better study books. And that was your original question in the first post. :p

I recommend the Mike Myers book - i used it when studying for my Network+ this past December. I am currently reading Todd Lammle's CCNA material and have really enjoyed it thus far so maybe his Network + material is worth checking out.

I have to admit, this seems a bit daunting to me.

I don't know if I want to get into networking, or just Sysadmin stuff.
There are such a wide scope of jobs out there, and they all seem so specialized on thier requirements, from having Unix/Linux knowledge, to SQL, to Dell and HP networking hardware, I just don't know which direction to head in.

Well EVERYTHING works because of networking so doing something like the Network+ or ICND1 will give you the basic knowledge of networking and how other things use networking to run.

I can't imagine a sysadmin that does not know how the networking works.

lol I spent about a week studying for my net+ just so I can memorize terms. Was easier than I thought.

Highly recommend Todd Lammie N+ book (and also CCNA). Both books helped me pass both tests with flying colors.

I have Lammels network+ book(picked it up 4 days ago), I am around page 400 and its not a bad book, but every now and then I get the feeling details here and there are missing. My biggest annoyance is he will start to explain something and then tell me he will actually give some real details 10 chapters in the future. Another annoyance is he will list a topic like tftp in bold and leave out lots of important details, like port numbers, tcp or udp( this makes it hard to find those details later on sometimes).

All the books published for Network+ seem to have some issue or another, at least that's what the amazon reviews say, so I guess his book wouldn't be a bad pick if you understand that he is missing some details and to double check them later(highlight area or mark with book mark).

I have Lammels network+ book(picked it up 4 days ago), I am around page 400 and its not a bad book, but every now and then I get the feeling details here and there are missing. My biggest annoyance is he will start to explain something and then tell me he will actually give some real details 10 chapters in the future. Another annoyance is he will list a topic like tftp in bold and leave out lots of important details, like port numbers, tcp or udp( this makes it hard to find those details later on sometimes).

I did kind of notice that with his CCNA book as well but that's why I supplemented it with the Cisco Press book which I might say goes overboard on the details. I read the CCNA for Dummies All-in-One as well but I'm not a big fan of it.

Back