Network simulation software

vitalym

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a network simulator similar to Cisco's packet tracer but more geared for home networks. I want to redesign my home network and want to test out whether it will work the way I want it to.

I need basic routers, switches and computers

I'm looking for a network simulator similar to Cisco's packet tracer but more geared for home networks. I want to redesign my home network and want to test out whether it will work the way I want it to.

I need basic routers, switches and computers
Have you looked at GNS3?

GNS3 looks a little too much for what I wanted to test...but let me describe my scenario and maybe you can tell me if it can be done in it...I hope this makes sense lol

Current setup:
Room1
Modem->Router (WAN port)
Router (LAN port)->Wall jack

Room2
Wall jack->Switch->PC

What I want to do:
Room1
Modem->Wall jack

Room2
Wall jack->Switch->Router (WAN port)
Router (LAN port)->Switch->PC

The reason I want to make this change is I want to move the router from room1 to room2 because the wireless signal barely reaches room2. It's not something that's difficult to just test out but I'd rather be a little lazy and try it out in a sim first.

Pretty much the goal here is to bring the wireless router into room2 while the modem and other computers are in room1.

There's no reason why you couldn't do what you want by just doing it.

1 - Why go to a switch before the router in "Room 2"? You running multiple items connected direct to the modem?

2 - What exactly are you trying to simulate here? The only thing that is practically changing is your WiFi coverage, and that can't be accurately simulated.

1 - Why go to a switch before the router in "Room 2"? You running multiple items connected direct to the modem?

2 - What exactly are you trying to simulate here? The only thing that is practically changing is your WiFi coverage, and that can't be accurately simulated.

1. Because there are computers in room1 that need to be behind the router. Having 2 switches would router both the WAN and LAN over the switches...but I don't know if it will work, hence why I want to test it.

2. I'm not trying to simulate wifi coverage, just see if the setup I have in mind will work.

If you can think of a different way of doing it, I'm game.
Room1 has computers and the modem
Room2 has computers and the router

1. Because there are computers in room1 that need to be behind the router. Having 2 switches would router both the WAN and LAN over the switches...but I don't know if it will work, hence why I want to test it.

2. I'm not trying to simulate wifi coverage, just see if the setup I have in mind will work.

If you can think of a different way of doing it, I'm game.
Room1 has computers and the modem
Room2 has computers and the router

1. It won't work.

Why not just add another Wireless Access Point in Room 2 if you already have wired connection there? It seems so silly to move the existing router if all you're having issues with is wireless.

Don't use the two switches. You probably aren't going to be able to use two routers in parallel with one modem unless it is also a router. In that case, they won't be using the wan port.

I don't know of any reasonably priced software that would have a working simulation.

Yeah the more I think about it, I don't think it will work either and it's not enough of a problem to warrant buying a repeater or AP.

Oh well, thanks anyways guys

Back