Network Signal Amplifier

jwcook82

n00b
I have been talking to my friends and I heard there is a signal amplifier for networks.

Basically my situation is as follows, my dad, brother and I are building a garage that is going to have a 2bedroom apartment above it.Both bedrooms will need cable tv and internet, as well the living room will need cable tv and internet. I will obviously have wireless for my brothers and my laptops, and the pc's will be wired.

In order to not have a it's own cable run from the street up, we were trying to find a way to use the house's current net, but without loss of connect / signal.

Both of us game, use the internet extensively for school, and etc. I will also be hooking up a Xbox360, and possibly later on have a home theatre that streams music from a pc or music server.

So my question is, what is a signal amplifier, how exspensive are they? What are my other options if any?

Thanks.

There are wireless repeaters..if you're running wireless. Peoples experiences with these vary...and you can encounter frustrations getting mixed brands of wireless gear to work well with this. Not to mention..IMO, wireless, and heavy online gaming..not a good mix.

Consider a pair of powerline adapters?

if ur going to all that effort to build a garage, cant spend a few more man hours and bucks to run a trench?

id rather run a wire underground then rely on anything wireless.

Make sure to use conduit and not just run the cable in the ground. Also if the distance is significant you may want to look into using fiber and media converters (fiber -> RJ45/Ethernet). Plus with fiber you don't have to worry so much about lighting strikes frying something.

Well I appreciate the comments, I am not 100% sure what exactly the rules are pertaining to the city, and what my dad has planned. I am just looking at my options and trying to find solutions to problems that might save a little money here and there, because building a garage isn't cheap, plus the price of furniture (at least buying a new sofa for living room), appliances ( refridgerator, oven and 2 burner gas range, sink, toilet, shower, bathroom sink, ceiling fans, and lights.) plus we still gotta build the deck that hangs off the back and create a ramp that goes up to the garage.

On a side note, I am new to [H]ardForum, had an account a while back but forgot the info. But I have been a member of Gruntville.com for a while (don't hurt me) been a pc / electronics enthusiast for a while. I know there is alot of pro's over here so I decided to join the ranks.

Enough of that, back on topic.

So whats the verdict on Gigabit stuff, I am still using Wireless G.

Back