Network Share?

malebolgia

Gawd
Where I work there are two people at the front office that always use floppy disks to transfer 250K files. These files aren't something you'd like to send via e-mail (payroll, expenses, etc...). Anyway my bossed asked me today to setup "network share" that's password protected. Problem is I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Note: Both machines are running XP Pro.

VPN between the two machines -- the communications are what require security above and beyond the norm, not the share itself. Just make sure the appropriate users are the only ones with permissions.

However, I think it would be easier to use secure email (S/MIME or PGP) than to put this data available in a share, which just makes it a slightly easier target.

Create the share as a hidden share if your really nervous about it but since your boss told you to do it, creating a share is pretty easy. Depends on how your network is setup whether or not you use groups, local or global, or individual accounts setup on each machine. I'd have to know more about your network to make a suggestion there. If your just in a workgroup you'll need to setup user accounts and set the permissions on the share on each machine you want to share the resource from. Right click on My computer and click manage, then look at shared folders. Expand that and right click on Shares to create a new share. Use the administrative share ($) if you want to hide it on the network.

edit: just took a look at XP's help on sharing. Sort of interesting how few people ever think to use windows help. If you bring up help and type in "Sharing files and folders overview" without the quotes that really gives you everything you need. You can always come back here for specifics but you'll need to give more information about your network and how its setup. At least whether its using a windows domain model or workgroup. Active Directory etc..

ktwebb said:
Create the share as a hidden share if your really nervous about it
In and of itself, this is no better than sending files by email. The data isn't encrypted, it's just not openly advertising itself.

That said, if you do end up using a network share, hiding it is a good idea. That's just not the full solution.

Looks like I spoke to soon. So I'll explain what I want to accomplish again (just to refresh everybody's mind). I have two XP Pro machines on a Linux network (running Samba). I need to setup a secure (username & password) transfer setting.

Below is what I've done:
  • I created a new user account on my machine named "Testrun"
  • Created a folder under C:\ named Testrun
  • Under the sharing tab I set share name to: Testrun
  • Under Permissions I unchecked everyone, and added "Testrun" (also giving that account full access to whatever's in that folder)
  • Click OK
My problem now is that I can't access this folder over the network (From another Windows machine). I checked and I have Server running (which is needed for file sharing). I tried adding it to the "My Network Places", but it doesn't go through (I entered: \\computername\Testrun)?

create your rights on the security tab, not the permissions button. THe security tab will use NTFS permissions. This assuming your running NTFS on that drive and simple file sharing is turned off.

yep, if your on ntfs both the share permissions and the ntfs permissions will both be used, the more restrictive setting wins out. setting up a share does not change the restrictive default ntfs permission, this you must do manually at the security tab.

I know this may sound stupid but with samba anytime you make a change, you need to restart the samba service...... did you do that? if not type this in the shell:
service smb restart

Then let your machines try and reconnect to it.

ktwebb said:
create your rights on the security tab, not the permissions button. THe security tab will use NTFS permissions. This assuming your running NTFS on that drive and simple file sharing is turned off.
I checked my settings in the security tab, and Testrun has full permissions.

Back