network share program files?

cuomo

Weaksauce
I feel kind of dumb asking this but I need to share program files. My friend uses a funeral director software and wants to use them on 2 computers and it requires program files to be shared.. but I cant figure out how to do it they are grayed out and blocked by windows. the computer has xp with sp2

Shameless Liar said:
www.hamachi.cc

Virtual LAN over internet with zero setup. This will make networking the two computers easier. A LOT easier.
It sounds like the computers are already on the same network, so I don't know if that will help.

What exactly is grayed out when you try to share the directory? Do you have file sharing enabled at least? Even if the directory was shareable, there's a good chance the software would have to be installed on the second computer anyway to set up registry keys and such. One option he has if he can't get the program on both machines is to use remote desktop or vnc or something to login to the other machine, then run the program in that session.

yes sharing is enabled and the boxes are grayed out when i try to share the program files folder. the program is an old program and the only way for both computers to use the same database is to map the c drive to the files on the main computer.. but it doesnt share program files when i try to map it. the tree shows up but its unaccessable. Ive tried using advanced sharing but it still does the same thing.

heres what it looks like

pf.jpg

Turn off the fisher price shar...err I mean Use Simple File Sharing in the options of explorer. Then you just need to right click on the drive, and give it a shared name, and then give users permission. Make sure each computer is in the same workgroup, and has the same user names and passwords.

sorry simple file sharing is on, how else would I be able to share the C drive. Just grays stuff out when i try to share the program files folder

cuomo said:
sorry simple file sharing is on, how else would I be able to share the C drive. Just grays stuff out when i try to share the program files folder
I've never seen it gray anything out. One of the first things I do is disable that simple sharing crap, and do it the right way, with shared folders and permissions. Do you have admin level rights?

yea the network is only 2 computers, what is the right way to do it?

cuomo said:
yea the network is only 2 computers, what is the right way to do it?
The right way to do it is how I've suggested above. You need to make sure the user accounts on both machines are admin level, disable the stupid simple file sharing, and then setup the usual shares and permissions. Any of us with home networks do it this way, and so does anyone on a corporate network. You didn't answer my question on user rights though, so I can't go into anymore detail. Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Back