Network Setup Trouble...

BrackMontgomery

Weaksauce
Alright, I'm trying to setup a wireless network that has NO internet connection between two PC's, and eventually an Xbox 360, all to stream media and share files. The trouble is, I can't get the AP on the Netgear router I bought to light up and work, even when trying to change the settings in the router, and the Netgear wireless G adapter utility won't even pop up on any of the computers I connect it to for some reason (I install it and it won't work). Is what I'm trying to do even possible? It's a WGR614 router, I'm goping to be ab;e to share files and maybe even LAN game a bit soon. Any help with this guys?

BrackMontgomery said:
The trouble is, I can't get the AP on the Netgear router I bought to light up and work, even when trying to change the settings in the router

Can you tell us what you have tried already?

In the settings for the router there is no way in which to turn the AP on, and it is listed as off. The only way I see is to have an internet connection when setting up the router, and without an internet connection the setup wizard won't continue. I can access the router's settings, I just have no way to turn on the AP so I can connect to the router wirelessly from a PC. I want one PC hardwired to it, and another and a 360 to connect wirelessly. I just can't figure out if getting around this no internet thing is even possible with this router, since I can't turn the AP to on.

Ok - under Advanced Settings - Wireless

There should be the option [check box] for Wireless Radio.
Right above the Enable SSID broadcast.

That is the option for turning on and off the wireless part of the router.

EDIT:
Now with image-y goodness:
wireless1.jpg

And herein lays my problem. The "enable wirless radio" box is grayed out and not an option to be checked, even though this router IS wireless obviously. I think it has to do with it not being connected to the internet. For instance, if I have it plugged in and I use dial-up my internet browser immediately tries to setup the router and won't let me surf the next (VERY ANNOYING)...

My thinking is that I may have to manually assign an ISP, subnet, etc. to make it private, as of right now it is supposed to obtain all this from the ISP. Since I don't want an ISP what should I use for these values? It's getting frustrating trying to get this to work minus the internet connection, but it HAS to be possible somehow. Having an internet connection for a router can't be all it's used for, obviously...

Thanks for the pic and help by the way...

What do you think I should use for these values, considering this won't have net access?

IP address

IP subnet mask

Gateway IP address

DNS server

MAC address

BrackMontgomery said:
My thinking is that I may have to manually assign an ISP, subnet, etc. to make it private, as of right now it is supposed to obtain all this from the ISP.

I didn't think it needed a WAN connection to work so I'm in the process of unplugging mine from my network and doing a little testing. Give me about 15 minutes

Edit:
I have a statically assigned private LAN IP for my WAN connection and it seems to be working at the moment.

Have a look under Advanced > WAN Setup

Try disabling "Connect Automatically, as Required"

I disabled what you said, and it hasn't changed anything. I think the goal here is to use the router as an AP for devices to connect to one another and share files, and in all my searching I'm not seeing how to do this with a router. I'll keep plugging away, though, if you figure anything out let me know, it'll definitely be appreciated. I'd hate to have to take this stuff back and give-up on my goal though...haha...

Good news, it's WORKING. I reset the router to factory settings, and all of a sudden the wireless AP LED pops on and my adapter connected to it. Funny thing is, out of the box the wireless was off by default (as it was stated it was supposed to be), and no matter what I did I couldn't enable it (the box always stayed grayed out and unavailable to check). Now the "Enable Wireless Radio" box is available and working, for some odd reason, as everything is the same as before. I think it may of had something to do with the smartwizard software, because when I fooled around with it it finally asked me about my internet connection and I said I'd configure it manually, and now I can connect to the AP wirelessly and surf via dial-up (maybe someday they'll run broadband to the sticks, or so I hope)...

Now I can't wait for the 360 and sharing music and video all throughout the house...

I sincerely appreciate the help some of you gave me along the way. Great to know I can always ask the [H]ard when questions arise...

Back