Network Service Authorization

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
If this post looks familiar it's because I have this same post posted at anandtech

Say I have a webserver that is unfixably insecure and is on my local network. What I mean is that if an intruder was determined and had network access to the webserver he could exploit the machine like crazy, and I can't fix that.

I want to be able to access this insecure webserver from outside my network, but obviously I don't want everyone to be able to access this insecure webserver, I need some sort of authentication and authorization to this network service.

I see that what I want already exists in the form of RADIUS servers.

But I'm just not familiar with the concepts, various vendors, and setups. I would prefer something simple, integrated into one solution (integrated into the router i guess) and cheap. I don't require NSA grade security, just something that will raise my security standards from (insecure webserver level)-> (consumer grade router with closed ports secure password level).

I'm also not sure how this would actually work from outside the network. Would I visit some webpage hosted by the router/server that would have me provide a login and password? Would i need to SSH into the router/server and authenticate through CLI? Thanks

yes, in this case that is another option that I am considering.

I think it's your only option if the server is that "insecure". Setup an OpenVPN vm, open the port for the VPN on the router's firewall and connect with your remote laptop/phone/etc. anytime you need something from the web server.

I think it's your only option if the server is that "insecure". Setup an OpenVPN vm, open the port for the VPN on the router's firewall and connect with your remote laptop/phone/etc. anytime you need something from the web server.
Thanks. I can't guarantee the client will have a machine to virtualize on, but I could supply a dd-wrt based router like buffalo or something and start the openVPN service and put the insecure webserver behind that.

Back