network security both wired and wireless.

xFROSTx

2[H]4U
Alright I need to secure my network. I am up at school living with 3 other roomates in a dorm. we have 4 wirless laptops and my wired desktop. I know how to secure the wireless network so only the 4 of us can use it, but I also want to network my laptop and my desktop so i can access files from either one. I setup a home network between my laptop and desktop and changed the network name from the default. Is this sufficent so that one of my roomates doesn't accidenty get into my network of my two computers?

you'll have to tweak the shares and limit the special directories to only your username, and the other directories to however you want.

If you changed the Domain name or Workgroup name, you should be fine. As long as they don't click on the Workgroup or Domain they won't see your computers. If you want to keep them out. Right click on your hard drive and then click sharing and security and set some permissions. Do this on all your hard drives.

ComputerBox34 said:
If you want to keep them out. Right click on your hard drive and then click sharing and security and set some permissions. Do this on all your hard drives.

explain how to do this better.

xFROSTx said:
explain how to do this better.
OK.....

Open Up Windows Explorer
Right Click the C drive (or whatever drive you want to lock down
Click "Sharing and Security"
Click "Permissions" on the bottom
Click"everyone" and check deny on the bottom to everyone
Click "Add" and search for users on your list and grant them access.
Make sure you add administrator group

You can also edit the controls if you look at the bottom half of the box
BTW, this is assuming you have WINXP Pro

Back