Network Security as a Field

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Considering college for network security....

Something that I need to know first, is it common or is it practically required to do the work, to use illegal software? For example, I know a local computer repair shop uses software they didn't pay for that is commercially licensed, I assume this 'need' would be many times higher in a field like network security..

Or is it all pretty much provided legally because you're working with a more professional business that Pays to have the right, updated materials?

Thanks.

uh, define illegal software?
illegal as in stolen or unlicensed, or illegal in the way it gets used?

Both.

I'm very ethical. I won't pirate, which is stealing.. and I'm not going to break the law in how I use it.

As a consultant I see illegal software all of the time on clients networks. I have been working hard for the last few years to get rid of as much of it as possible. With most of them if anything is wrong it is because someone grabbed a cd and loaded something on a second pc.

Licensing can be a real bitch to keep up with. Any good sized company should be working to be as legit as possible.

Well most larger companies pay for Nessus, Core Impact, Metasploit Pro, SAINT, or anything else you need.

Alright, so that is an option... not everyone does, but a number do.

Thanks, guys.

I usually request trial products from companies, most of them corporate applications, to try them out. and it becomes an entire shitstorm if the company gets wind of you using their product unlicensed.

If you're testing a product, sure, for a day or two or request a trial, then un-install, but you shouldn't be running anything on production if you wouldn't be able to pay for it...

You also have to remember there are security applications there cost thousands of dollars, so companies would definitely come after you for it.

Back