Network problems - interference? help?

EvilSmiley

[H]ard|Gawd
Heres the situation:

I'm renting a garage apartment from some friends, and they've got cable. So we decide to find some way to get me on their network.

The way everything is setup in the main house is such:
Modem -> Router1 -> Comp1 and Router2 -> Comp2

The only reason router2 is there is it is a wireless that was given to us to try the wireless route, but I couldnt get a signal. I took the router out to my apartment, hooked up it right next to my comp (now referred to as comp3) and got a 77% signal strength. I moved it to the front door of my apartment and it dropped to 22% signal strength (thats just under 10 yards).

So I figure too much interference, and decide to run a 100' line between my comp3 and router2. Now this is whats going on:

My comp3 tells me that the cable is connected, but cannot recieve packets. Tries to send them, but doesnt recieve any. It does not recognize any network, unable to get an IP through TCP/IP, so no repair.. I manually assign an ip, and still nothing.

if I try to repair, I get that ARF (?) IP of 169.254.x.x -ish.. is that right? cant think right now, sicker than a dog.

So, any ideas? I tried switching ports on the router, so its not a bad port. Is it possible that there is so much interference that it would mess with a land line? or could it be something with the routers? Im at a loss here.. every other time I've hooked up to networks, it went fairly smooth and painless.. never ran into this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

An IP addy of 169.xx.xx.xx means the nic cant locate a dhcp server. You cannot run two routers on the same subnet , which i think you have if I'm reading your post correctly. Use the second router as a switch, turn of the routing and the dhcp.

I didnt know if that would have an affect, as comp2 is behind both routers and works fine..

I tried turning off DHCP on router2, and it effectively shut off the datastream to comp2. I'll look more into it in the morning, as I just got off work and am going to bed, but thought I'd post that in case that extra info helps any.

you definitely dont want 2 dhcp servers handing out for the same range...

Ok, just woke up and starting to work on this..

Seeing as how I'm not very adept with routers at all, help me in case I've not done this right. You're saying that I need to shut off routing and DHCP on router2.

I turned off DHCP, and set RIP to none.. other than the RIP, I dont know of any way to turn off the routing. Comp2 is still working fine at the moment, and I'm gonna run out to my apartment and see if I got anything on my comp3.

Updates soon

k, still no worky..

I noticed tho, that in the network properties, that the items in use are the following:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Odyssey network something-or-other?? (Never seen this before)
File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Never seen that Odyssey thing before, whats that?
Also, shouldnt I have NetBIOS? I tried to install it, but its not in the option of stuff immediately available. Since I just moved, I havent dug out my XP disk yet to see if I can do it from there..

Does this offer any more insights to the problem?

ok, sounds like some people are retarded
heres what you do:

Modem ====> Router one uing a patch cable ====> computers with patch cables & the non WAN and non uplink part of the router (where you would normally plug in a computer) using a CROSSOVER cable ====> whatever else

This works because the non-WAN and non-uplink ports on a SOHO router work the exact same way as a switch. They have no IP filtering and work with an ARP table. The only "router" port on the so called router is the WAN port because it works with NAT/PAT :eek:

eattofuholmes said:
ok, sounds like some people are retarded

was that needed?

as to your solution, I'll pose it to the owners of the house, as the only way that can happen is if the cable that is already run is re-crimped.

it also doesnt explain how one comp hooked up to router2 works fine already, when mine wont.

Just my thought - did you check your cable? When you ran it out to the garage did you staple it or bend it or anything?

Its easy to check so do it first.

EvilSmiley said:
Heres the situation:

I'm renting a garage apartment from some friends, and they've got cable. So we decide to find some way to get me on their network.

The way everything is setup in the main house is such:
Modem -> Router1 -> Comp1 and Router2 -> Comp2

The only reason router2 is there is it is a wireless that was given to us to try the wireless route, but I couldnt get a signal.

If the only reason you are using Router2 is because you want to use Wireless, turn Router2 into AP-only mode if the firmware allows it. You can effectively do this even if there is no "simple way" in your firmware by turning off DHCP on router2, connecting the cable to the WAN/uplink portion and enabling Two-way RIP on the wireless router. Keep RIP disabled on their primary router.

Alternatively, you could change the subnet on Router2 and enable DHCP for 'your' subnet. Connect their LAN to your WAN, configure the router as if their network was a cable modem and be done with it.

I.e. Cable --> Router1 (DHCP 192.168.1.x) to ----> Router2 (DHCP 192.168.2.x) --->

But if you can run a LAN cable out to the garage and connect to the network, I'd say just get a switch and be done with it. Later on if you want to you can easily purchase a wireless AP.

EvilSmiley said:
...I took the router out to my apartment, hooked up it right next to my comp (now referred to as comp3) and got a 77% signal strength. I moved it to the front door of my apartment and it dropped to 22% signal strength (thats just under 10 yards).

Frankly it sounds like you have a bad transciever in your wireless router/ap but if you have any 2.4GHz phones or the neighbors do, this could easily explain the dampening of the signal as they both operate out of the same spectrum.

EvilSmiley said:
So I figure too much interference, and decide to run a 100' line between my comp3 and router2. Now this is whats going on:

My comp3 tells me that the cable is connected, but cannot recieve packets. Tries to send them, but doesnt recieve any. It does not recognize any network, unable to get an IP through TCP/IP, so no repair.. I manually assign an ip, and still nothing.

if I try to repair, I get that ARF (?) IP of 169.254.x.x -ish.. is that right? cant think right now, sicker than a dog.

So, any ideas? I tried switching ports on the router, so its not a bad port. Is it possible that there is so much interference that it would mess with a land line? or could it be something with the routers? Im at a loss here.. every other time I've hooked up to networks, it went fairly smooth and painless.. never ran into this problem before. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The address in question is the ARP/APIPA address 169.254.x.x, which Windows automatically assigns in the absence of a DHCP server on the network.

If you connect the cable from their router directly to one of your machines does it work? If it does and all else fails, follow my recommendation in bold as it may work out for you.

Check your cables and check my recommendations above as well as those of the person with low self esteem. Hope that helps...

Back