• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Network problem with Sabertooth Z77...

Soyo13

Gawd
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
643
Recently built a brand new computer (See sig for spec.) Everything working perfectly fine EXCEPT for one thing. I'm using the on-board Ethernet and every now and then it would disconnect from my college campus network then attempt to reconnect resulting in some massive delaying in games.

Never had this problem with my previous PC. I'm not sure what is the problem or how to fix it.

Drivers is all up to date.
 
And just for "out of left field" answers make sure the Windows Power Scheme is set to never power down the Network Controller device.

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Networking tab, and then click Configure.

4. Click the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.
 
I fixed it by uninstalling the Network iControl and updating to Intel PROSet Version 17.0

There is a bug with the later driver that causes disconnects. The 17.0 PROSet contains the fix for the integrated NIC.
 
Swapped the cable.
Uninstalled iControl.
Updated the drivers to 17.0. (Annoying that ASUS website didn't have that drivers...)
Disabled the power saving options.

Problem still present... :-\
 
Has anyone else within the network had the same issue of disconnects; especially within your room/dorm? Run the diagnostics within the Link tab of the PROSet (about mid level right side), and see what diag says (access via Device Manager and the NIC's properties). Ask an admin/help desk too. Informing them of new hardware, possible issue with their hardware. Curious, I wonder if you would disconnect if a switch was used, and what cables have you been using?

Although, there was a real disconnect issue with the later drivers and the 82579V that was resolved with PROSet 17.0.
 
As far as I know I'm the only one at my dorm with the problem. Ran the Tests, all of the result was passed or normal. The help desk is closed during the weekend so that one is out until Monday. I'm using the same shielded Cat6 ethernet cable that I used with my older PC.

Has anyone else within the network had the same issue of disconnects; especially within your room/dorm? Run the diagnostics within the Link tab of the PROSet (about mid level right side), and see what diag says (access via Device Manager and the NIC's properties). Ask an admin/help desk too. Informing them of new hardware, possible issue with their hardware. Curious, I wonder if you would disconnect if a switch was used, and what cables have you been using?

Although, there was a real disconnect issue with the later drivers and the 82579V that was resolved with PROSet 17.0.
 
Well, probably not network issue and you've tried everything, well almost everything. Another NIC is better and cheaper. Integrated NIC on motherboards tend to go bad way more often than a standalone device plugged in your motherboard, reason is circuit protection is lacking. ASUS is a great product; don't get me wrong, that's all I buy now when building new computers. Try another NIC!
 
Had the same problem with my new Z77 ST. Turned out to be the cable. Note it was really sensitive to cabling for some reason - had to try 2x types before it would work. Also running Intel's v17 s/w.
 
Never experienced anything like this before. Surely enough it seem to be the ethernet cable I used after all. Tried several set of ethernet cable. Finally got one that works for me without disconnecting.

Solid connection for past 12 hours without quick disconnection. I'm glad I don't have to waste time/money RMAing this board or getting a new NIC.

Very odd.
 
Not really odd. You would be amazed at how many issues are at the physical level. That is why I am very particular about my cables.....
 
I had a similar problem with trying to Remote Desktop to my computer.
I fixed it by uninstalling the Network iControl and updating to Intel PROSet Version 17.0

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...Intel+PROSet+17&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

Thanks! I had strangeness with long network load times (web browsing or Youtube) with my new board, and first thing I did was disable iControl. It made things a bit better, but the Intel 17.0 driver seems to have taken care of the inconsistent network speed. Much appreciated.
 
Back
Top