Network Planning

Liquidkristal

Supreme [H]ardness
ok, so i've been asked by a customer to quote for an IP PBX for their site (High School, 1600 pupils, 100 handsets, thats not the issue)

the problem is their network is a huge collection of 24 port 3Com switches, some have gigabit, some don't, its spread over 6 wiring closets, each closet is connected back to the IT room via fiber (8 core) so thats not really an issue, its what to replace it with.

The current 3Coms all work, but there are complaints that its slow (and with no QoS), the phones will work, but its far from ideal.

I am looking at replacing the 3coms with HP procurve chassis as the back plans support far higher throughput than stacking switches, now the main comms room as 408 ports at the moment, the biggest HP can do 288, so, my current plan is to put a 42xx series in as a core with fiber for connecting everything else to, and a single block of Gige copper (server connectivity), then running 42xx's / 28xx's everywhere else and using injector bars for the PoE.

Does my idea suck, are there better ways around it? (cash is an issue as they are a school, so cisco is out of the window, but they do appreciate that they have been nursing the network along now for nearly 6 years and it needs fixing)

looked at the 5400 series, but its a bit expensive..

Network port counts per closet are

Closet 1 - 408 (also houses servers)
Closet 2 - 120
Closet 3 - 96
Closet 4 - 72
Closet 5 - 72
Closet 6 - 24

any ideas are appreciated.

What state are you in? And why are they not using e-rate to purchase new equipment? Is this a public funded school or private school?

If they are a public funded school and can't use e-rate are they in a year that is outside of the 2 and 5 rule?

Cisco should not be out of the question depending on their e-rate status.

How does HP do their stacking? I know with a 3750 stack you get a 32gb backplane. Is that not enough?

I do like your idea of the core switch and then fiber out to the servers and then spread out. I would honestly say if the budget allows for going poe switches do that instead of injectors. Saves headaches in the long run

What state are you in? And why are they not using e-rate to purchase new equipment? Is this a public funded school or private school?

If they are a public funded school and can't use e-rate are they in a year that is outside of the 2 and 5 rule?

Cisco should not be out of the question depending on their e-rate status.

School is in the UK (I've not actually checked into any education rates that vendors might offer (there are frameworks that can be used by schools for purchasing stuff like this, but they are very umm.. well useless, and the school knows they will be ripped off)

Gonna look at going PoE on the switches (will be better in the long run)

so most likely 4200 in cabinets 1 and 2 and 1u PoE switches everywhere else (school has enough fiber to support that)

Oh, its in the UK. Then I have no idea about the government programs in that country. Here in the United States I can go on and on about programs and ways to secure funding for nice equipment.

Uhhmm my question would be first of what PBX ?

as for backbone speed 1 gig is sufficient to sustain voice and data (IF QoS is setup right) you can always bundle and increase bandwidth.
HP is basically good equipment at an affordable rate. PoE is a bit more pricey but that is with any brand. in a school you do wanne research your security :)
If you go the SIP route (so no Cisco) I will say it again PLAN FOR SECURITY ! :)

as for government funding , what I have heard is that the UK is less then interesting you get 2 pounds per student or some weird solution.

Back