Network Path Question.

Taradino

Limp Gawd
In my house, I have the internet coming into a router on the upper floors, which goes to a switch and provides access to the upper floors (each room is bixed up), then I have 1 (ONE) 10-100 cable which goes to the basement to a switch providing network connectivity to the basement.

I have load issues between the two floors, which I would like to get sorted out, I was thinking of running a second network cable to go from the basement to the upper floor (just like the above one), is that allowed or would I be creating one huge collision domain??

Whatever you do don't connect 2 cables like that, it'll just create a loop and you'll have zero connectivity.

The best thing to do is to upgrade both of the swites to gigabit, they aren't that expensive anymore and it'll give you around 10x the bandwidth you have now. I currently have gigabit between my computers and none of them are even close to being fast enough to saturate the connection.

(each room is bixed up)

Does bixed mean something, or was it just a typo?

underdone said:
Whatever you do don't connect 2 cables like that, it'll just create a loop and you'll have zero connectivity.

The best thing to do is to upgrade both of the swites to gigabit, they aren't that expensive anymore and it'll give you around 10x the bandwidth you have now. I currently have gigabit between my computers and none of them are even close to being fast enough to saturate the connection.

Does bixed mean something, or was it just a typo?

Bixed is a term used in a cabling room when you have empty ports on a wiring harness and you take the bare wiring and punch it into the harness, thats called bixing.

Taradino said:
Bixed is a term used in a cabling room when you have empty ports on a wiring harness and you take the bare wiring and punch it into the harness, thats called bixing.

Thanks, learn something new everyday.

I'm assuming you are running 10/100 switches on both sides as well. Do you know what rate you are actually getting to the basement? If you are only running 10Mbps your cable could be at fault, and getting a new switch wouldn't solve your problem. Alot of switches have an amber link light if you are running only 10.

As already mentioned, you can't just string a second line between two switches. It will create a loop. If you switches are running spanning tree this extra link will get disconnect automatically.

Only way to run two links between the same switch and get the extra bandwidth would be to aggregate them together, which most consumer switches can't do.

Back